Feb 5, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
The last time Scott Gomez scored a goal for the Montreal Canadiens was February 5, 2011 against the New York Rangers. The Habs won that game 2-0 and Gomez’s goal was the game-winner. It was a happy night in Montreal.
Since then, times have been tough. Gomez has played in 51 regular season games and seven playoff games since then and has no goals to show for it and that’s something that’s got some fans outside of Montreal a bit excited. Gomez’s time in Montreal of late has been filled with Bronx cheers, boos, and utter frustration that he can’t be more of an offensive fixture for the Habs.
Making matters worse are Montreal’s struggles in the standings. The Canadiens are currently 28th in the league standings-wise and dead last in the Eastern Conference. Salad days these are not. Gomez snapping out of his goal funk would do a lot for him and while it’s not likely to help Montreal lead their way into the playoffs, at the very least it would take the heat off for a day.
Related: Anyone seen how Ryan McDonagh is doing?
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)