Feb 5, 2012, 1:52 PM EST
The last time Scott Gomez scored a goal for the Montreal Canadiens was February 5, 2011 against the New York Rangers. The Habs won that game 2-0 and Gomez’s goal was the game-winner. It was a happy night in Montreal.
Since then, times have been tough. Gomez has played in 51 regular season games and seven playoff games since then and has no goals to show for it and that’s something that’s got some fans outside of Montreal a bit excited. Gomez’s time in Montreal of late has been filled with Bronx cheers, boos, and utter frustration that he can’t be more of an offensive fixture for the Habs.
Making matters worse are Montreal’s struggles in the standings. The Canadiens are currently 28th in the league standings-wise and dead last in the Eastern Conference. Salad days these are not. Gomez snapping out of his goal funk would do a lot for him and while it’s not likely to help Montreal lead their way into the playoffs, at the very least it would take the heat off for a day.
Related: Anyone seen how Ryan McDonagh is doing?
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)