Feb 5, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
The last time Scott Gomez scored a goal for the Montreal Canadiens was February 5, 2011 against the New York Rangers. The Habs won that game 2-0 and Gomez’s goal was the game-winner. It was a happy night in Montreal.
Since then, times have been tough. Gomez has played in 51 regular season games and seven playoff games since then and has no goals to show for it and that’s something that’s got some fans outside of Montreal a bit excited. Gomez’s time in Montreal of late has been filled with Bronx cheers, boos, and utter frustration that he can’t be more of an offensive fixture for the Habs.
Making matters worse are Montreal’s struggles in the standings. The Canadiens are currently 28th in the league standings-wise and dead last in the Eastern Conference. Salad days these are not. Gomez snapping out of his goal funk would do a lot for him and while it’s not likely to help Montreal lead their way into the playoffs, at the very least it would take the heat off for a day.
Related: Anyone seen how Ryan McDonagh is doing?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 42
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)