Feb 9, 2012, 9:53 PM EST
The most well-documented slump in hockey has now come to an end.
Scott Gomez finally found the net after a year and four days, as the last time he collected a tally was Feb. 5, 2011. I’m not going to lie; when I first realized he scored, I had to check the box score and ascertain that it wasn’t an empty-netter.
That was not the case, and much like his last goal, Gomez’s tally ended up winning the game for the Montreal Canadiens. It came on the power play about 10 minutes into the second period:
Sure, Max Pacioretty was the real star of the 4-2 win with an impressive hat trick, but it’s tough not to gravitate toward Gomez’s salvation.
In honor of all the Internet memes that died tonight, here’s this amusing photo (via The Associated Press) of someone trolling Gomez on the anniversary of his now-second-most-recent goal:
So let me ask: is that display clever, offensive or maybe a little of both?
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 1
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 3
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)