Feb 7, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
Say this about Scott Gomez — he really loves Montreal.
The much-maligned center spoke glowingly about the city and its inhabitants in a wide-ranging interview with the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs, touching on his year-long goalless drought, his contract, his teammates and the treatment he’s received from Canadiens fans.
“You’ve got to take it,” Gomez said of the abuse he’s received. “It’s part of sports. Who am I to sit here and tell fans who pay good money to come to games that they can’t speak their minds? If I’m paying their rent, then maybe.”
The Bell Center fans are certainly speaking their minds — recently, they’ve taken to cheering Gomez every time he touches the puck, something Stubbs describes as “hugely sarcastic, some of it well-intentioned.”
There are also a few bars around town offering free rounds when Gomez next scores.
Not that any of it bothers him.
“I’ll quote (tennis player) Jimmy Connors, who said to fans: ‘You might not like me, but I love you.’ The fans are an important part of what we do.
“The fans in Montreal are great. Whether (their cheering) is sarcastic or not, it shows their passion. It shows people in the building get it. You don’t understand how passionate fans are here until you’re here. I get to see that every day. Sometimes it hasn’t been good for me, but the passion is still there. You respect that.”
For all the abuse Gomez takes, he speaks like a true team-first guy. He refuses to let the goalless slump eat away at him, stating that his No. 1 priority is to get Montreal some results in the wins column.
“I look at that standings board in the dressing room every day. That’s my focus. I wake up in the morning and what bugs me is where we are in the standings.
“Trust me, I want to score as much as anyone. But I’m dead serious about this – if it took me not scoring for two years for us to win in Montreal, I’d take it.”
So, how will Gomez react when he finally busts the slump?
“It depends if we win or lose,” he said. “If we lose, the goal won’t mean (expletive).”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)