Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
You can cross Tim Gleason off your team’s trade wish list.
Gleason signed a four-year extension with the Carolina Hurricanes worth $16 million. With that cap hit of $4 million a year, he gets a raise from the $2.75 million a year he was making before.
With Gleason in the final year of his deal he was slated to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and was a prime target for trades. Now he’s not going anywhere and the trade market for defensemen grows a bit thinner.
After seeing Francois Beauchemin get signed to an extension and with Ryan Suter apparently off the market now, the pickings are slim amongst defensemen with expiring deals who could be moved. Are you ready for the Hal Gill sweepstakes? How about Jaroslav Spacek or Andy Sutton? Yeah, we thought you were.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 18
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)