Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
You can cross Tim Gleason off your team’s trade wish list.
Gleason signed a four-year extension with the Carolina Hurricanes worth $16 million. With that cap hit of $4 million a year, he gets a raise from the $2.75 million a year he was making before.
With Gleason in the final year of his deal he was slated to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and was a prime target for trades. Now he’s not going anywhere and the trade market for defensemen grows a bit thinner.
After seeing Francois Beauchemin get signed to an extension and with Ryan Suter apparently off the market now, the pickings are slim amongst defensemen with expiring deals who could be moved. Are you ready for the Hal Gill sweepstakes? How about Jaroslav Spacek or Andy Sutton? Yeah, we thought you were.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)