Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM EST
You can cross Tim Gleason off your team’s trade wish list.
Gleason signed a four-year extension with the Carolina Hurricanes worth $16 million. With that cap hit of $4 million a year, he gets a raise from the $2.75 million a year he was making before.
With Gleason in the final year of his deal he was slated to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and was a prime target for trades. Now he’s not going anywhere and the trade market for defensemen grows a bit thinner.
After seeing Francois Beauchemin get signed to an extension and with Ryan Suter apparently off the market now, the pickings are slim amongst defensemen with expiring deals who could be moved. Are you ready for the Hal Gill sweepstakes? How about Jaroslav Spacek or Andy Sutton? Yeah, we thought you were.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)