Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM EDT
You can cross Tim Gleason off your team’s trade wish list.
Gleason signed a four-year extension with the Carolina Hurricanes worth $16 million. With that cap hit of $4 million a year, he gets a raise from the $2.75 million a year he was making before.
With Gleason in the final year of his deal he was slated to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and was a prime target for trades. Now he’s not going anywhere and the trade market for defensemen grows a bit thinner.
After seeing Francois Beauchemin get signed to an extension and with Ryan Suter apparently off the market now, the pickings are slim amongst defensemen with expiring deals who could be moved. Are you ready for the Hal Gill sweepstakes? How about Jaroslav Spacek or Andy Sutton? Yeah, we thought you were.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)