Jan 30, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
Ryan Suter might be the hottest commodity around the NHL world thanks to him becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer. Suter saying he wasn’t going to negotiate a new deal before the trade deadline only stoked the fires that trade rumors are created from.
With teams oozing cap room and in need of a cornerstone defenseman, Suter being dealt at the deadline could create a feeding frenzy for the Predators.
Courtesy of Frank Seravalli of the Philly Daily News, he hears from an inside source that the Predators won’t be putting Suter on the market any time soon.
“The consensus among us is that Nashville will be hanging onto him, even if they know the odds are not in their favor of re-signing him,” one Eastern Conference GM told the Daily News on condition of anonymity. “If he does decide to trade him, [David] Poile has the market cornered. There are very few defensemen of Suter’s caliber in the league and Nashville has two of them.
“You have to wonder whether the Predators can continue to trade away their top players for prospects because they can’t afford to pay them.”
It could be a great place for the Predators to be in to have command of the trade market and have teams like the Red Wings and Flyers at their beck and call. Giving up a top defenseman to do that, however, makes it a really awkward position to be in.
As for now, the Predators will hope they can get Suter signed before July 1 lest they lose him for nothing to those same teams.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)