Jan 30, 2012, 10:55 AM EST
Ryan Suter might be the hottest commodity around the NHL world thanks to him becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer. Suter saying he wasn’t going to negotiate a new deal before the trade deadline only stoked the fires that trade rumors are created from.
With teams oozing cap room and in need of a cornerstone defenseman, Suter being dealt at the deadline could create a feeding frenzy for the Predators.
Courtesy of Frank Seravalli of the Philly Daily News, he hears from an inside source that the Predators won’t be putting Suter on the market any time soon.
“The consensus among us is that Nashville will be hanging onto him, even if they know the odds are not in their favor of re-signing him,” one Eastern Conference GM told the Daily News on condition of anonymity. “If he does decide to trade him, [David] Poile has the market cornered. There are very few defensemen of Suter’s caliber in the league and Nashville has two of them.
“You have to wonder whether the Predators can continue to trade away their top players for prospects because they can’t afford to pay them.”
It could be a great place for the Predators to be in to have command of the trade market and have teams like the Red Wings and Flyers at their beck and call. Giving up a top defenseman to do that, however, makes it a really awkward position to be in.
As for now, the Predators will hope they can get Suter signed before July 1 lest they lose him for nothing to those same teams.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)