Jan 20, 2012, 5:37 PM EST
So much for Francois Beauchemin getting traded at the deadline – the veteran defenseman has signed a three-year, $10.5-million extension with the Anaheim Ducks.
Beauchemin, 31, is averaging 25:44 of ice time per game, the most of any Duck.
The hard-nosed blueliner won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007, later signing a three-year deal with truculence-seeking Toronto in 2009. The Leafs traded him back to Anaheim last February in return for Joffrey Lupul and Jake Gardiner.
Based on comparable contracts, Beauchemin might have been able to earn more on the open market as an unrestricted free agent, but apparently he wants to stay put.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes the signing could mean Anaheim defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky is made available at the deadline. However, it should be noted that Visnovsky has a full no-trade clause until July 1, according to CapGeek.com. Update: Actually, CapGeek.com updates that a no-trade clause was on the contract “but isn’t anymore.”
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)