Jan 27, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
With so many teams in the market for depth defensemen as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches, here’s a list of pending unrestricted free agents (with cap hits) on bad teams that could be available.
1. Hal Gill, Montreal ($2.25 million) – Big, tough, shot-blocker extraordinaire with a ton of playoff experience. Won a ring with Pittsburgh.
2. Pavel Kubina, Tampa Bay ($3.85 million) – Not the offensive defenseman he used to be, but won a Stanley Cup with the Lightning in 2004. Can play 20 minutes a game if needed. Has a limited no-trade clause.
3. Tim Gleason, Carolina ($2.75 million) – Should be among the most sought after blue-liners. Gleason is one of the few plus players on the ‘Canes. Not afraid to get his nose dirty.
4. Bryan Allen, Carolina ($2.9 million) – Sizable cap hit for what you’re getting, but if salary space is no issue, Allen offers size and toughness.
5. Adrian Aucoin, Phoenix ($2 million) – Not young at 38, but plays 20 minutes a game for the Coyotes. Big shot from the point.
6. Andy Sutton, Edmonton ($2.125 million) – Another big, tough defenseman.
7. Chris Campoli, Montreal ($1.75 million) – Played all seven playoff games last season for the Blackhawks before a contract dispute led to a parting of ways.
8. Steve Staios, NY Islanders ($1.6 million) – At 38, an experienced vet that went to the 2006 Cup finals with the Oilers.
9. Milan Jurcina, NY Islanders ($1.6 million) – The minus-23 isn’t great, but neither are the Isles.
10. Brett Clark, Tampa Bay ($1.5 million) – Needed a tenth guy for the list. That’s Clark.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)