Jan 27, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
With so many teams in the market for depth defensemen as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches, here’s a list of pending unrestricted free agents (with cap hits) on bad teams that could be available.
1. Hal Gill, Montreal ($2.25 million) – Big, tough, shot-blocker extraordinaire with a ton of playoff experience. Won a ring with Pittsburgh.
2. Pavel Kubina, Tampa Bay ($3.85 million) – Not the offensive defenseman he used to be, but won a Stanley Cup with the Lightning in 2004. Can play 20 minutes a game if needed. Has a limited no-trade clause.
3. Tim Gleason, Carolina ($2.75 million) – Should be among the most sought after blue-liners. Gleason is one of the few plus players on the ‘Canes. Not afraid to get his nose dirty.
4. Bryan Allen, Carolina ($2.9 million) – Sizable cap hit for what you’re getting, but if salary space is no issue, Allen offers size and toughness.
5. Adrian Aucoin, Phoenix ($2 million) – Not young at 38, but plays 20 minutes a game for the Coyotes. Big shot from the point.
6. Andy Sutton, Edmonton ($2.125 million) – Another big, tough defenseman.
7. Chris Campoli, Montreal ($1.75 million) – Played all seven playoff games last season for the Blackhawks before a contract dispute led to a parting of ways.
8. Steve Staios, NY Islanders ($1.6 million) – At 38, an experienced vet that went to the 2006 Cup finals with the Oilers.
9. Milan Jurcina, NY Islanders ($1.6 million) – The minus-23 isn’t great, but neither are the Isles.
10. Brett Clark, Tampa Bay ($1.5 million) – Needed a tenth guy for the list. That’s Clark.
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 3
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 32
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)