Jan 27, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
With so many teams in the market for depth defensemen as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches, here’s a list of pending unrestricted free agents (with cap hits) on bad teams that could be available.
1. Hal Gill, Montreal ($2.25 million) – Big, tough, shot-blocker extraordinaire with a ton of playoff experience. Won a ring with Pittsburgh.
2. Pavel Kubina, Tampa Bay ($3.85 million) – Not the offensive defenseman he used to be, but won a Stanley Cup with the Lightning in 2004. Can play 20 minutes a game if needed. Has a limited no-trade clause.
3. Tim Gleason, Carolina ($2.75 million) – Should be among the most sought after blue-liners. Gleason is one of the few plus players on the ‘Canes. Not afraid to get his nose dirty.
4. Bryan Allen, Carolina ($2.9 million) – Sizable cap hit for what you’re getting, but if salary space is no issue, Allen offers size and toughness.
5. Adrian Aucoin, Phoenix ($2 million) – Not young at 38, but plays 20 minutes a game for the Coyotes. Big shot from the point.
6. Andy Sutton, Edmonton ($2.125 million) – Another big, tough defenseman.
7. Chris Campoli, Montreal ($1.75 million) – Played all seven playoff games last season for the Blackhawks before a contract dispute led to a parting of ways.
8. Steve Staios, NY Islanders ($1.6 million) – At 38, an experienced vet that went to the 2006 Cup finals with the Oilers.
9. Milan Jurcina, NY Islanders ($1.6 million) – The minus-23 isn’t great, but neither are the Isles.
10. Brett Clark, Tampa Bay ($1.5 million) – Needed a tenth guy for the list. That’s Clark.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)