Dec 30, 2010, 11:33 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at the four games that ended at a reasonable hour tonight. We’ll get around to Colorado-Edmonton and Philadelphia-Los Angeles later on.
Kristian Huselius scored two goals and Rick Nash provided two assists while R.J. Umberger scored a game winning power-play goal to help the Blue Jackets beat the Maple Leafs tonight. Steve Mason earned the win (20 out of 22 saves) although Jonas Gustavsson played pretty well (29 out of 32 saves) in the loss.
The Thrashers gave one of hockey’s oddest couples an early wedding gift with a shootout win over the Bruins tonight. Atlanta’s other explosive offensive defenseman Tobias Enstrom scored two goals while Patrice Bergeron and Blake Wheeler scored for Boston. Recent call-up Tim Stapleton and underrated forward Bryan Little made it happen in the shootout for the Thrashers.
This is a story of two teams on very different paths right now. The Lightning are now comfortably in first place in the Southeast Division in front of the Caps while the Canadiens have slipped out of the Northeast lead with a three game losing streak and a 2-8-0 run in their last 10. Steven Stamkos scored two goals and two assists while Cedrick Desjardins earned his first NHL win with 27 saves in this one.
During last year’s playoffs, the Sharks couldn’t get a break against the Blackhawks. Former Chicago goalie Antti Niemi is now 3-0 against his old employers. He made 26 out of 29 saves while Joe Thornton scored a game-winner to give San Jose the win. The Blackhawks might find that two weeks without Jonathan Toews won’t pass very easily.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)