Dec 29, 2010, 5:57 PM EST
When Marian Hossa and Patrick Kane each returned to the Chicago lineup, it felt like it was high time the Blackhawks got on a roll having their top players all back together. Of course, things never are as easy as they’re made out to be and after Chicago’s 3-1 loss to St. Louis last night, a loss that saw Jonathan Toews leave the game early with an injury, Chicago will have to make do without him for the next two weeks.
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said that Toews will miss the next two weeks with an injured shoulder and for Chicago, losing Toews will really test the mettle of the team. Toews is, by far, the top centerman on the team and really the only guy capable of leading the top line. Patrick Sharp has taken some time at center, but what Sharp brings skill-wise is still good, there’s an intangible quality that Toews brings to the ice.
Chicago’s gotten used to being without important players in the lineup this year and this is just another instance of that. Playing without Hossa a couple times this year and, until recently, without Patrick Kane has given some of Chicago’s depth players some opportunities to step up. Now the pressure is on centers like Dave Bolland to elevate their game.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)