Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
So what happens if the Columbus Blue Jackets and restricted free agent Ryan Johansen are unable to reach a deal prior to the start of training camp next month?
Columbus Dispatch reporter Aaron Portzline asked this very question in is blog Saturday.
According to Portzline, the two sides had nothing new to report on contract negotiations as of Friday.
The Blue Jackets have reportedly offered the 22-year-old a two-year contract worth $7 million with a long-term deal to be negotiated in 2016. However, Johansen’s camp is looking for a deal worth a reported $7 million per season after the 6-foot-3, 223-pound center had a career year scoring 33 goals and 63 points in 2013-14.
For those wondering, the Blue Jackets currently have over $14 million in cap space to play with.
With neither side budging, Portzline suggests a number of available unrestricted free agents, who could be invited to Columbus’ camp.
Saku Koivu, Dustin Penner, Michal Handzus, Andrei Loktionov, David Steckel, Ryan Malone, Ville Leino, Colin Fraser, Daniel Carcillo and Ryan Carter, are among those without contracts.
Despite Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen saying a camp invite is unlikely, Portzline believes the Finnish connection makes Koivu the likely candidate.
As for the Johansen contract, one has to believe a short-term deal or bridge contract is likely. Other young players, who’ve signed short-term following a breakout season include Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban and Maple Leafs center Nazem Kadri. On Friday, Oilers defenseman Justin Schultz agreed to a one-year deal hoping to cash in next summer.
If Subban is any indication, barring a major setback, Johansen will get paid what he’s worth once the bridge deal is complete. If Kekalainen can get the Johansen camp to agree, a short-term deal will protect the Jackets’ in the short-term, but could cost them in the long run.
Hopefully for Jackets’ fans, the two sides can come to terms prior to the start of the season in October at the latest.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)