Sep 10, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Again, it seems like the key was for Kadri to relent on term. TSN’s Darren Dreger points out that he’s only getting $25K more per season than Toronto’s previous two-year offer.
Kadri’s first season salary is $2.7 million while his 2014-15 salary is $3.1 million, according to Kypreos.
This is clearly a prove-it deal for Kadri, who broke through with almost a point per regular season game in 2013 (44 in 48) after failing to stick with the team in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Kadri will still be a restricted free agent once his new deal expires, but he’ll have more leverage if he can prove that this past campaign wasn’t a fluke.
Kadri might be disappointed by this haul, but considering the fact that former RFA P.K. Subban accepted a similar deal in a similarly low position of power, it shouldn’t be shocking.
Buds’ budding bargain
After a summer full of polarizing decisions, this is basically a slam dunk for GM Dave Nonis and the Leafs. They’ve managed to sign a first-round talent who may indeed be breaking through while clearing up between $2-$4 million to re-sign Cody Franson (and maybe even Mason Raymond).
One of the best parts of the deal for both sides is that Kadri isn’t going to miss training camp, which makes this holdout different from several other recent high-profile negotiations.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 0
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 4
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 14
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 26
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)