Aug 20, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Tuesday marked another significant development for the concussion lawsuits filed by numerous former players against the NHL.
Three of the suits have been consolidated and assigned to a U.S. District Judge in Minnesota, per the Canadian Press. Minnesota was chosen due to its central location and proximity to Canada, where a number of the parties and witnesses live (the consolidation brings together more than 200 ex-players that originally filed in Minnesota, New York and Washington.)
The NHL has been hit with five different concussion lawsuits since November of 2013, when the first group of 10 ex-players filed in a federal court in Washington. The second was filed in April — one that included former NHLers Dan LaCouture, Dan Keczmer and Mike Peluso, but one that also lost credibility by claiming NHL legend Gordie Howe died in 2009 from a neurodegenerative disease called Pick’s disease.
(Howe is still alive. It was his wife, Colleen, who died of the disease.)
The third suit was also filed in April, in Minneapolis, by retired players Dave Christian, Reed Larson and William Bennett. Lawsuits No. 4 and No. 5 were filed this past summer and featured former Former Bruins d-man Jon Rohloff, ex-Columbus forward Dan Fritsche and former Ranger Chris Ferraro.
The consolidation order says all five suits may eventually be joined into one.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)