Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
A third group of ex-NHLers — which includes retired players Dave Christian, Reed Larson and William Bennett — have filed a federal class action lawsuit against the NHL regarding concussions and head injuries, per the Associated Press.
More, from AP:
The lawsuit was filed in Minneapolis on Tuesday.
It alleges that the NHL put its players ”at a substantially higher risk” for developing memory loss, depression, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. The lawsuit, which is similar to one brought by former football players against the NFL, joins others filed by hockey players in Washington and New York and seeks monetary damages and increased medical monitoring.
The second of the aforementioned three lawsuits was filed last Thursday, one that included former NHLers Dan LaCouture, Dan Keczmer, and Mike Peluso.
The suit maintains that each plaintiff “was, has been and will continue to be damaged as a result of the NHL’s misconduct” while claiming that LaCouture, who played over 300 games in the NHL, “suffers from headaches, irritability, sensitivity to light, change of personality, and depression.”
Damaging that second suit’s credibility, however, is the assertion that NHL legend Gordie Howe died in 2009 from a neurodegenerative disease called Pick’s disease. In fact, Howe is still alive. It was his wife, Colleen, who died of the disease.
The NHL was hit with its first concussion-related lawsuit in November.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 2
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)