Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
A third group of ex-NHLers — which includes retired players Dave Christian, Reed Larson and William Bennett — have filed a federal class action lawsuit against the NHL regarding concussions and head injuries, per the Associated Press.
More, from AP:
The lawsuit was filed in Minneapolis on Tuesday.
It alleges that the NHL put its players ”at a substantially higher risk” for developing memory loss, depression, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. The lawsuit, which is similar to one brought by former football players against the NFL, joins others filed by hockey players in Washington and New York and seeks monetary damages and increased medical monitoring.
The second of the aforementioned three lawsuits was filed last Thursday, one that included former NHLers Dan LaCouture, Dan Keczmer, and Mike Peluso.
The suit maintains that each plaintiff “was, has been and will continue to be damaged as a result of the NHL’s misconduct” while claiming that LaCouture, who played over 300 games in the NHL, “suffers from headaches, irritability, sensitivity to light, change of personality, and depression.”
Damaging that second suit’s credibility, however, is the assertion that NHL legend Gordie Howe died in 2009 from a neurodegenerative disease called Pick’s disease. In fact, Howe is still alive. It was his wife, Colleen, who died of the disease.
The NHL was hit with its first concussion-related lawsuit in November.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)