Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
A third group of ex-NHLers — which includes retired players Dave Christian, Reed Larson and William Bennett — have filed a federal class action lawsuit against the NHL regarding concussions and head injuries, per the Associated Press.
More, from AP:
The lawsuit was filed in Minneapolis on Tuesday.
It alleges that the NHL put its players ”at a substantially higher risk” for developing memory loss, depression, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. The lawsuit, which is similar to one brought by former football players against the NFL, joins others filed by hockey players in Washington and New York and seeks monetary damages and increased medical monitoring.
The second of the aforementioned three lawsuits was filed last Thursday, one that included former NHLers Dan LaCouture, Dan Keczmer, and Mike Peluso.
The suit maintains that each plaintiff “was, has been and will continue to be damaged as a result of the NHL’s misconduct” while claiming that LaCouture, who played over 300 games in the NHL, “suffers from headaches, irritability, sensitivity to light, change of personality, and depression.”
Damaging that second suit’s credibility, however, is the assertion that NHL legend Gordie Howe died in 2009 from a neurodegenerative disease called Pick’s disease. In fact, Howe is still alive. It was his wife, Colleen, who died of the disease.
The NHL was hit with its first concussion-related lawsuit in November.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)