Apr 10, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Listed among the allegations in the second concussion-related lawsuit (PDF) to be filed against the NHL:
— “The NHL Fosters a Culture of ‘Enforcers’ and ‘Goons'”
— “The NHL Uses Its Extreme Violence as a Commodity to Generate Billions of Dollars”
— “Despite Knowledge of the Imminent Risk of Head Trauma and Its Devastating and Long-Term Negative Health Effects, the NHL Has Failed to Warn and Adequately Protect Its Players”
Plaintiffs include former NHLers Dan LaCouture, Dan Keczmer, and Mike Peluso.
The suit maintains that each plaintiff “was, has been and will continue to be damaged as a result of the NHL’s misconduct.”
It also maintains that LaCouture, who played over 300 games in the NHL, “suffers from headaches, irritability, sensitivity to light, change of personality, and depression.”
Damaging its credibility, however, is the suit’s assertion that NHL legend Gordie Howe died in 2009 from a neurodegenerative disease called Pick’s disease. In fact, Howe is still alive. It was his wife, Colleen, who died of the disease.
The suit also identifies Sidney Crosby as “Sydney Crosby.”
The NHL was hit with its first concussion-related lawsuit in November.
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9