Aug 17, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
After suffering from meningitis and being placed in a medically induced coma in March, Montreal Canadiens prospect Tim Bozon is back where he wants to be, on the ice.
It’s been a long summer for Bozon, who told the Montreal Gazette recently that he had “to do two times more than normal” in order to prepare for the upcoming hockey season.
Bozon spent four weeks in a Saskatoon hospital, then returned home to France where spent another three weeks at a rehab center working on things such as his speech.
“I didn’t see the time go by with all that I did every day,” Bozon told the Gazette of his summer, which has flown by. “I live near the beach and I didn’t go once. So it’s a lot of sacrifices like that. But that’s what had to be done if I wanted to continue to hope and live my dream.”
His hard work paid off as last month as Bozon suited up for France at an Under-23 tournament in the Czech Republic.
Originally a third-round pick of the Habs’ in 2012, Bozon fully expects to be at the team’s rookie camp next month.
The toughest part of Bozon’s summer has been to recover the nearly 40 pounds he lost while in sick, but thanks to his dedication in the gym Bozon is now back to 194 pounds, just five pounds shy of his playing weight of last season.
As for what’s next?
“I just want to be the player I was — even better — have a big season then and see what happens,” Bozon said.
Bozon has one year of junior hockey eligibility left, which means he will likely return to Kootenay of the WHL where in 50 games last season the 20-year-old scored 30 goals and 62 points. There is a chance he could make the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs, as well.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)