Aug 1, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
With goaltender Robin Lehner re-signed, the Senators are more-or-less set for the 2014-15 campaign. That doesn’t mean they’re going to have a quiet August though. Already looking ahead to 2015-16, assistant GM Pierre Dorion reached out to Bobby Ryan and Clarke MacArthur‘s agents to negotiate contract extensions. Both players are eligible to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
“We had really productive talks on Clarke MacArthur and Bobby Ryan. As you guys know these deals don’t get done in a day, (Senators GM) Bryan (Murray) had preliminary talks with the agents beforehand and (Wednesday) I’d call it productive talks on both sides of things,” said Dorion, per the Ottawa Sun.
Dorion’s goal is to re-sign both of them as soon as possible.
Ryan had 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games last season, but his production dipped as the season went on. It was eventually revealed that he had been playing through a sports hernia since November. He’s wrapping up a five-year, $25.5 million contract.
MacArthur signed a two-year, $6.5 million deal with Ottawa in the summer of 2013 after recording just 20 points in 40 games during his final campaign with Toronto. He bounced back in 2013-14 though with 24 goals and 55 points in 79 contests.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)