Aug 1, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
With goaltender Robin Lehner re-signed, the Senators are more-or-less set for the 2014-15 campaign. That doesn’t mean they’re going to have a quiet August though. Already looking ahead to 2015-16, assistant GM Pierre Dorion reached out to Bobby Ryan and Clarke MacArthur‘s agents to negotiate contract extensions. Both players are eligible to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
“We had really productive talks on Clarke MacArthur and Bobby Ryan. As you guys know these deals don’t get done in a day, (Senators GM) Bryan (Murray) had preliminary talks with the agents beforehand and (Wednesday) I’d call it productive talks on both sides of things,” said Dorion, per the Ottawa Sun.
Dorion’s goal is to re-sign both of them as soon as possible.
Ryan had 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games last season, but his production dipped as the season went on. It was eventually revealed that he had been playing through a sports hernia since November. He’s wrapping up a five-year, $25.5 million contract.
MacArthur signed a two-year, $6.5 million deal with Ottawa in the summer of 2013 after recording just 20 points in 40 games during his final campaign with Toronto. He bounced back in 2013-14 though with 24 goals and 55 points in 79 contests.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)