Aug 1, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
With goaltender Robin Lehner re-signed, the Senators are more-or-less set for the 2014-15 campaign. That doesn’t mean they’re going to have a quiet August though. Already looking ahead to 2015-16, assistant GM Pierre Dorion reached out to Bobby Ryan and Clarke MacArthur‘s agents to negotiate contract extensions. Both players are eligible to become unrestricted free agents next summer.
“We had really productive talks on Clarke MacArthur and Bobby Ryan. As you guys know these deals don’t get done in a day, (Senators GM) Bryan (Murray) had preliminary talks with the agents beforehand and (Wednesday) I’d call it productive talks on both sides of things,” said Dorion, per the Ottawa Sun.
Dorion’s goal is to re-sign both of them as soon as possible.
Ryan had 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games last season, but his production dipped as the season went on. It was eventually revealed that he had been playing through a sports hernia since November. He’s wrapping up a five-year, $25.5 million contract.
MacArthur signed a two-year, $6.5 million deal with Ottawa in the summer of 2013 after recording just 20 points in 40 games during his final campaign with Toronto. He bounced back in 2013-14 though with 24 goals and 55 points in 79 contests.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)