Mar 27, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
Bobby Ryan‘s first campaign with the Ottawa Senators has been something of a disappointment, but as it turns out he wasn’t playing at 100 percent.
The 27-year-old forward has been dealing with a sports hernia since November. His hope was to play through it until the campaign was over, but he aggravated the injury on March 22 and has to be shut down for the rest of 2013-14. He will have surgery today.
“Bobby has worked hard to play through this injury to help his team and his teammates, and had yet to miss a game this season prior to the injury progressing to this point,” Senators GM Bryan Murray said, per the team’s website.
“We’re confident that he’ll recover in time to have a full summer of training that will allow him to be back in our lineup and help this team be successful next season.”
Ryan had 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games this season. Not counting the shortened campaign, this will break his streak of recording at least 30 goals and 57 points in four consecutive campaigns.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)