Mar 27, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Bobby Ryan‘s first campaign with the Ottawa Senators has been something of a disappointment, but as it turns out he wasn’t playing at 100 percent.
The 27-year-old forward has been dealing with a sports hernia since November. His hope was to play through it until the campaign was over, but he aggravated the injury on March 22 and has to be shut down for the rest of 2013-14. He will have surgery today.
“Bobby has worked hard to play through this injury to help his team and his teammates, and had yet to miss a game this season prior to the injury progressing to this point,” Senators GM Bryan Murray said, per the team’s website.
“We’re confident that he’ll recover in time to have a full summer of training that will allow him to be back in our lineup and help this team be successful next season.”
Ryan had 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games this season. Not counting the shortened campaign, this will break his streak of recording at least 30 goals and 57 points in four consecutive campaigns.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 43
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 20
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)