Jul 26, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
If there’s one guy in the Washington Capitals locker room that knows a thing about new coach Barry Trotz, it’s Joel Ward.
Ward played for Trotz in Nashville for three seasons before signing with the Capitals in 2011. As Alex Prewitt of The Washington Post shared, he’s looking forward to playing for his old coach and teaching his teammates a few of his tricks.
“I think now I’ve got to tell some guys a few things,” Ward said, laughing, even though he already had. “It’s definitely been a good relationship in the past and hopefully keep that going. Definitely I can always teach a few guys some of the tendencies and some of the things that we’ve done back in Nashville that I’m sure he’ll carry over.”
Ward established himself in Nashville under Trotz and was a playoff hero for the Predators in the 2010-11 postseason when he scored seven goals and had 13 points in 12 games. That performance paid off with a four-year, $12 million deal to play for Washington.
The main guy he’ll probably want to chat with is Alex Ovechkin as there’s already people wondering how those two will get along. As it is, Trotz has already warned that some guys may not be big fans of how he does things.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)