Jul 26, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
If there’s one guy in the Washington Capitals locker room that knows a thing about new coach Barry Trotz, it’s Joel Ward.
Ward played for Trotz in Nashville for three seasons before signing with the Capitals in 2011. As Alex Prewitt of The Washington Post shared, he’s looking forward to playing for his old coach and teaching his teammates a few of his tricks.
“I think now I’ve got to tell some guys a few things,” Ward said, laughing, even though he already had. “It’s definitely been a good relationship in the past and hopefully keep that going. Definitely I can always teach a few guys some of the tendencies and some of the things that we’ve done back in Nashville that I’m sure he’ll carry over.”
Ward established himself in Nashville under Trotz and was a playoff hero for the Predators in the 2010-11 postseason when he scored seven goals and had 13 points in 12 games. That performance paid off with a four-year, $12 million deal to play for Washington.
The main guy he’ll probably want to chat with is Alex Ovechkin as there’s already people wondering how those two will get along. As it is, Trotz has already warned that some guys may not be big fans of how he does things.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)