Jun 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Barry Trotz can appreciate some of what Alex Ovechkin has to endure as the face of the Washington Capitals.
“I think he’s like a coach sometimes,” the Caps’ new bench boss said Saturday. “When they win, he gets a little bit too much credit, and when they lose, he gets too much blame. … My job is to deflect some of that and have his back when it’s not his fault.”
That said, Trotz believes Ovechkin has to “grow his game if we’re going to win a championship.” And while that goes for everyone on the team — he was by no means trying to single out his captain — he did share one specific critique with reporters.
“Alex has got a bit too much glide in his game,” said Trotz. “When you’re standing still you’re really easy to cover.”
Instead of gliding, Trotz wants Ovechkin skating back hard when he doesn’t have the puck. Not so much to help out in the defensive end, but so when the Caps regain possession, Ovechkin is in a better position to receive the puck and do something productive, with speed.
“Then you have some options,” said Trotz. “I think if he gets a little less glide in his game that he’ll be as dynamic and hard to handle as he ever was.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)