Jun 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Barry Trotz can appreciate some of what Alex Ovechkin has to endure as the face of the Washington Capitals.
“I think he’s like a coach sometimes,” the Caps’ new bench boss said Saturday. “When they win, he gets a little bit too much credit, and when they lose, he gets too much blame. … My job is to deflect some of that and have his back when it’s not his fault.”
That said, Trotz believes Ovechkin has to “grow his game if we’re going to win a championship.” And while that goes for everyone on the team — he was by no means trying to single out his captain — he did share one specific critique with reporters.
“Alex has got a bit too much glide in his game,” said Trotz. “When you’re standing still you’re really easy to cover.”
Instead of gliding, Trotz wants Ovechkin skating back hard when he doesn’t have the puck. Not so much to help out in the defensive end, but so when the Caps regain possession, Ovechkin is in a better position to receive the puck and do something productive, with speed.
“Then you have some options,” said Trotz. “I think if he gets a little less glide in his game that he’ll be as dynamic and hard to handle as he ever was.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)