Jun 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Barry Trotz is out to change the culture of the Washington Capitals.
And the new head coach knows that’s not an easy — or comfortable — thing to do.
“There’s no black and white,” Trotz told Monumental Network recently (video). “You have to be very specific, because guys don’t know what you want all the time. … At first there will be some pain. At the same time, the players want accountability, they want structure, and they want discipline. … It’ll be uncomfortable for some guys.”
Trotz has already spoken with captain and face of the franchise Alex Ovechkin.
“We’re going to work through some things that he can improve on to make him a better player,” Trotz said. “If he’s a better player, he’s going to make us a better team.”
The Capitals missed the playoffs in 2014 for the first time since 2007. Change soon followed, with the naming of a new coach, Trotz, and new general manager, Brian MacLellan.
“I think everyone knows what’s expected,” said Trotz. “The professionalism and the expectations are such that you have to buy in or we’ll be butting heads.”
- Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates 1
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 22
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 6
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)