Jun 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EST
Barry Trotz is out to change the culture of the Washington Capitals.
And the new head coach knows that’s not an easy — or comfortable — thing to do.
“There’s no black and white,” Trotz told Monumental Network recently (video). “You have to be very specific, because guys don’t know what you want all the time. … At first there will be some pain. At the same time, the players want accountability, they want structure, and they want discipline. … It’ll be uncomfortable for some guys.”
Trotz has already spoken with captain and face of the franchise Alex Ovechkin.
“We’re going to work through some things that he can improve on to make him a better player,” Trotz said. “If he’s a better player, he’s going to make us a better team.”
The Capitals missed the playoffs in 2014 for the first time since 2007. Change soon followed, with the naming of a new coach, Trotz, and new general manager, Brian MacLellan.
“I think everyone knows what’s expected,” said Trotz. “The professionalism and the expectations are such that you have to buy in or we’ll be butting heads.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)