Jun 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EST
Barry Trotz is out to change the culture of the Washington Capitals.
And the new head coach knows that’s not an easy — or comfortable — thing to do.
“There’s no black and white,” Trotz told Monumental Network recently (video). “You have to be very specific, because guys don’t know what you want all the time. … At first there will be some pain. At the same time, the players want accountability, they want structure, and they want discipline. … It’ll be uncomfortable for some guys.”
Trotz has already spoken with captain and face of the franchise Alex Ovechkin.
“We’re going to work through some things that he can improve on to make him a better player,” Trotz said. “If he’s a better player, he’s going to make us a better team.”
The Capitals missed the playoffs in 2014 for the first time since 2007. Change soon followed, with the naming of a new coach, Trotz, and new general manager, Brian MacLellan.
“I think everyone knows what’s expected,” said Trotz. “The professionalism and the expectations are such that you have to buy in or we’ll be butting heads.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)