Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have been a team in need of better offense for a while now, but if you’re hoping the team calls about Evander Kane, one Nashville writer says it’s a good idea to reconsider.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean pondered the thought of the Predators acquiring the offensively skilled Kane from the Winnipeg Jets and points to off-ice issues as a reason to not pick him up.
Sadly, character is an issue for Kane, which is exactly why the Predators shouldn’t go after him.
The Predators took on reclamation projects in James Neal, Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy this summer. They don’t have room for another.
Ouch. Cooper points towards Kane’s activity on Twitter as a reason to steer clear.
Kane’s “money phone” call to boxing champion Floyd Mayweather as well as him favoriting a tweet that advocated his trade from Winnipeg drummed up a lot of attention from media in the Manitoba city. Kane’s appearance on a Vancouver radio show also drew attention as he said, “I’m a member of the Winnipeg Jets… We’ll see what happens.”
Kane is a lightning rod for attention in Winnipeg but the Jets have put up with it because he has top-level talent. Would he be a similar “distraction” in another city? There’s only one way to find out, but chances are he’d be able to hide out a little better in Nashville.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)