Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have been a team in need of better offense for a while now, but if you’re hoping the team calls about Evander Kane, one Nashville writer says it’s a good idea to reconsider.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean pondered the thought of the Predators acquiring the offensively skilled Kane from the Winnipeg Jets and points to off-ice issues as a reason to not pick him up.
Sadly, character is an issue for Kane, which is exactly why the Predators shouldn’t go after him.
The Predators took on reclamation projects in James Neal, Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy this summer. They don’t have room for another.
Ouch. Cooper points towards Kane’s activity on Twitter as a reason to steer clear.
Kane’s “money phone” call to boxing champion Floyd Mayweather as well as him favoriting a tweet that advocated his trade from Winnipeg drummed up a lot of attention from media in the Manitoba city. Kane’s appearance on a Vancouver radio show also drew attention as he said, “I’m a member of the Winnipeg Jets… We’ll see what happens.”
Kane is a lightning rod for attention in Winnipeg but the Jets have put up with it because he has top-level talent. Would he be a similar “distraction” in another city? There’s only one way to find out, but chances are he’d be able to hide out a little better in Nashville.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 28
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)