Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have been a team in need of better offense for a while now, but if you’re hoping the team calls about Evander Kane, one Nashville writer says it’s a good idea to reconsider.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean pondered the thought of the Predators acquiring the offensively skilled Kane from the Winnipeg Jets and points to off-ice issues as a reason to not pick him up.
Sadly, character is an issue for Kane, which is exactly why the Predators shouldn’t go after him.
The Predators took on reclamation projects in James Neal, Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy this summer. They don’t have room for another.
Ouch. Cooper points towards Kane’s activity on Twitter as a reason to steer clear.
Kane’s “money phone” call to boxing champion Floyd Mayweather as well as him favoriting a tweet that advocated his trade from Winnipeg drummed up a lot of attention from media in the Manitoba city. Kane’s appearance on a Vancouver radio show also drew attention as he said, “I’m a member of the Winnipeg Jets… We’ll see what happens.”
Kane is a lightning rod for attention in Winnipeg but the Jets have put up with it because he has top-level talent. Would he be a similar “distraction” in another city? There’s only one way to find out, but chances are he’d be able to hide out a little better in Nashville.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)