Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have been a team in need of better offense for a while now, but if you’re hoping the team calls about Evander Kane, one Nashville writer says it’s a good idea to reconsider.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean pondered the thought of the Predators acquiring the offensively skilled Kane from the Winnipeg Jets and points to off-ice issues as a reason to not pick him up.
Sadly, character is an issue for Kane, which is exactly why the Predators shouldn’t go after him.
The Predators took on reclamation projects in James Neal, Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy this summer. They don’t have room for another.
Ouch. Cooper points towards Kane’s activity on Twitter as a reason to steer clear.
Kane’s “money phone” call to boxing champion Floyd Mayweather as well as him favoriting a tweet that advocated his trade from Winnipeg drummed up a lot of attention from media in the Manitoba city. Kane’s appearance on a Vancouver radio show also drew attention as he said, “I’m a member of the Winnipeg Jets… We’ll see what happens.”
Kane is a lightning rod for attention in Winnipeg but the Jets have put up with it because he has top-level talent. Would he be a similar “distraction” in another city? There’s only one way to find out, but chances are he’d be able to hide out a little better in Nashville.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 4
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 1
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8