Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have been a team in need of better offense for a while now, but if you’re hoping the team calls about Evander Kane, one Nashville writer says it’s a good idea to reconsider.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean pondered the thought of the Predators acquiring the offensively skilled Kane from the Winnipeg Jets and points to off-ice issues as a reason to not pick him up.
Sadly, character is an issue for Kane, which is exactly why the Predators shouldn’t go after him.
The Predators took on reclamation projects in James Neal, Mike Ribeiro and Derek Roy this summer. They don’t have room for another.
Ouch. Cooper points towards Kane’s activity on Twitter as a reason to steer clear.
Kane’s “money phone” call to boxing champion Floyd Mayweather as well as him favoriting a tweet that advocated his trade from Winnipeg drummed up a lot of attention from media in the Manitoba city. Kane’s appearance on a Vancouver radio show also drew attention as he said, “I’m a member of the Winnipeg Jets… We’ll see what happens.”
Kane is a lightning rod for attention in Winnipeg but the Jets have put up with it because he has top-level talent. Would he be a similar “distraction” in another city? There’s only one way to find out, but chances are he’d be able to hide out a little better in Nashville.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)