Dec 19, 2012, 11:15 AM EST
Evander Kane provided the latest “what were you thinking?” moment of the lockout on Wednesday, posting a Twitpic of himself on the balcony of Las Vegas’ Cosmopolitan Hotel while making a pretend phone call to boxer Floyd Mayweather.
The call was made on a custom phone.
The phone was made of stacks of money.
(Hundred dollar bills, to be precise.)
The picture caption read: “Hey @FloydMayweather pick up your phone cause I’m callin#imdifferent @jduppal”
From a timing perspective, Kane whipping out the cash phone couldn’t be worse. The Winnipeg Free Press points out that, in addition the fact numerous people have lost work and wages during lockout, it’s also close to the holidays — six days before Christmas, to be precise.
Kane’s lack of awareness might be stunning but, given the NHLPA’s history on the Twitter front, it isn’t especially surprising.
Since the lockout began, we’ve seen:
– Scottie Upshall and Brandon Prust passing along sunny vacation pics with the hashtag #lockoutproblems
Oh, there’s also those NHLers that openly complained about the hardships of having to play overseas during the lockout.
In the interest of fairness, we should point out not all NHLers have spent the lockout flaunting their wares. Jay Beagle was very open about the potential for financial distress given he’s got two mortgages. Of course, that means Jay Beagle owns two houses. You know what? Forget it.
Update: As several people have pointed out on Twitter, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Kane’s attire. Kudos, Evander, for repping the official blogger uniform of sweapants and sweatshirt — in Las Vegas!
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)