Dec 19, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Evander Kane provided the latest “what were you thinking?” moment of the lockout on Wednesday, posting a Twitpic of himself on the balcony of Las Vegas’ Cosmopolitan Hotel while making a pretend phone call to boxer Floyd Mayweather.
The call was made on a custom phone.
The phone was made of stacks of money.
(Hundred dollar bills, to be precise.)
The picture caption read: “Hey @FloydMayweather pick up your phone cause I’m callin#imdifferent @jduppal”
From a timing perspective, Kane whipping out the cash phone couldn’t be worse. The Winnipeg Free Press points out that, in addition the fact numerous people have lost work and wages during lockout, it’s also close to the holidays — six days before Christmas, to be precise.
Kane’s lack of awareness might be stunning but, given the NHLPA’s history on the Twitter front, it isn’t especially surprising.
Since the lockout began, we’ve seen:
– Scottie Upshall and Brandon Prust passing along sunny vacation pics with the hashtag #lockoutproblems
Oh, there’s also those NHLers that openly complained about the hardships of having to play overseas during the lockout.
In the interest of fairness, we should point out not all NHLers have spent the lockout flaunting their wares. Jay Beagle was very open about the potential for financial distress given he’s got two mortgages. Of course, that means Jay Beagle owns two houses. You know what? Forget it.
Update: As several people have pointed out on Twitter, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Kane’s attire. Kudos, Evander, for repping the official blogger uniform of sweapants and sweatshirt — in Las Vegas!
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 4
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1