Dec 19, 2012, 11:15 AM EST
Evander Kane provided the latest “what were you thinking?” moment of the lockout on Wednesday, posting a Twitpic of himself on the balcony of Las Vegas’ Cosmopolitan Hotel while making a pretend phone call to boxer Floyd Mayweather.
The call was made on a custom phone.
The phone was made of stacks of money.
(Hundred dollar bills, to be precise.)
The picture caption read: “Hey @FloydMayweather pick up your phone cause I’m callin#imdifferent @jduppal”
From a timing perspective, Kane whipping out the cash phone couldn’t be worse. The Winnipeg Free Press points out that, in addition to the fact that numerous people have lost work and wages during lockout, it’s also close to the holidays — six days before Christmas, to be precise.
Kane’s lack of awareness might be stunning but, given the NHLPA’s history on the Twitter front, it isn’t especially surprising.
Since the lockout began, we’ve seen:
— Paul Bissonnette rave about his favorite seamstress at Barney’s New York
— Scottie Upshall and Brandon Prust passing along sunny vacation pics with the hashtag #lockoutproblems
Oh, there’s also those NHLers that openly complained about the hardships of having to play overseas during the lockout.
In the interest of fairness, we should point out not all NHLers have spent the lockout flaunting their wares. Jay Beagle was very open about the potential for financial distress given he’s got two mortgages. Of course, that means Jay Beagle owns two houses. You know what? Forget it.
Update: As several people have pointed out on Twitter, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Kane’s attire. Kudos, Evander, for repping the official blogger uniform of sweapants and sweatshirt — in Las Vegas!
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 19
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33