Dec 19, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Evander Kane provided the latest “what were you thinking?” moment of the lockout on Wednesday, posting a Twitpic of himself on the balcony of Las Vegas’ Cosmopolitan Hotel while making a pretend phone call to boxer Floyd Mayweather.
The call was made on a custom phone.
The phone was made of stacks of money.
(Hundred dollar bills, to be precise.)
The picture caption read: “Hey @FloydMayweather pick up your phone cause I’m callin#imdifferent @jduppal”
From a timing perspective, Kane whipping out the cash phone couldn’t be worse. The Winnipeg Free Press points out that, in addition to the fact that numerous people have lost work and wages during lockout, it’s also close to the holidays — six days before Christmas, to be precise.
Kane’s lack of awareness might be stunning but, given the NHLPA’s history on the Twitter front, it isn’t especially surprising.
Since the lockout began, we’ve seen:
— Paul Bissonnette rave about his favorite seamstress at Barney’s New York
— Scottie Upshall and Brandon Prust passing along sunny vacation pics with the hashtag #lockoutproblems
Oh, there’s also those NHLers that openly complained about the hardships of having to play overseas during the lockout.
In the interest of fairness, we should point out not all NHLers have spent the lockout flaunting their wares. Jay Beagle was very open about the potential for financial distress given he’s got two mortgages. Of course, that means Jay Beagle owns two houses. You know what? Forget it.
Update: As several people have pointed out on Twitter, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Kane’s attire. Kudos, Evander, for repping the official blogger uniform of sweapants and sweatshirt — in Las Vegas!
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)