Jul 8, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Winnipeg forward Evander Kane appeared on Vancouver’s Team 1040 Radio and had some rather, um, curious comments about his future as a Jet.
The transcription, for your reading pleasure:
[1040 host] Matt Sekeres: Evander, do you want to play for the Winnipeg Jets anymore?
Kane: Well, I think I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now and there’s been speculation and rumors for the three years since I got there. So we’ll see what happens and we’ll carry on as I’m a Winnipeg Jet.
Sekeres: There’s not a yes in there, and some Jets fans might say you know, why doesn’t he want to play for us? Why isn’t he absolutely fully on board for playing for us? [To Kane] You’re shaking your finger at me.
Kane: No, I think… I’m training hard and getting ready for this season. Last summer I didn’t have a full summer of training due to some surgery I had, so I found it really important for me to start training early and get myself in the best shape possible for the upcoming season.
You can listen to the audio here. If you do, you’ll get a better sense of Kane’s deflection skills — Tomas Holmstrom would be awed by how good they are.
As for Kane’s actual comments, I’m not sure they add more insight to what’s pretty well known — he doesn’t really like his current situation. His time in Winnipeg has been marred with too many incidents to mention, yet the most telling development of all might’ve been when he “favorited” a tweet pushing a trade to Philly during Draft weekend. This ended up being, y’know, actual news, which says a lot — the situation has gotten to the point where people are waiting to see what unique, innovative ways Kane will express his desire to get out of Winnipeg.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)