Jul 8, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Winnipeg forward Evander Kane appeared on Vancouver’s Team 1040 Radio and had some rather, um, curious comments about his future as a Jet.
The transcription, for your reading pleasure:
[1040 host] Matt Sekeres: Evander, do you want to play for the Winnipeg Jets anymore?
Kane: Well, I think I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now and there’s been speculation and rumors for the three years since I got there. So we’ll see what happens and we’ll carry on as I’m a Winnipeg Jet.
Sekeres: There’s not a yes in there, and some Jets fans might say you know, why doesn’t he want to play for us? Why isn’t he absolutely fully on board for playing for us? [To Kane] You’re shaking your finger at me.
Kane: No, I think… I’m training hard and getting ready for this season. Last summer I didn’t have a full summer of training due to some surgery I had, so I found it really important for me to start training early and get myself in the best shape possible for the upcoming season.
You can listen to the audio here. If you do, you’ll get a better sense of Kane’s deflection skills — Tomas Holmstrom would be awed by how good they are.
As for Kane’s actual comments, I’m not sure they add more insight to what’s pretty well known — he doesn’t really like his current situation. His time in Winnipeg has been marred with too many incidents to mention, yet the most telling development of all might’ve been when he “favorited” a tweet pushing a trade to Philly during Draft weekend. This ended up being, y’know, actual news, which says a lot — the situation has gotten to the point where people are waiting to see what unique, innovative ways Kane will express his desire to get out of Winnipeg.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)