Jul 8, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Winnipeg forward Evander Kane appeared on Vancouver’s Team 1040 Radio and had some rather, um, curious comments about his future as a Jet.
The transcription, for your reading pleasure:
[1040 host] Matt Sekeres: Evander, do you want to play for the Winnipeg Jets anymore?
Kane: Well, I think I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now and there’s been speculation and rumors for the three years since I got there. So we’ll see what happens and we’ll carry on as I’m a Winnipeg Jet.
Sekeres: There’s not a yes in there, and some Jets fans might say you know, why doesn’t he want to play for us? Why isn’t he absolutely fully on board for playing for us? [To Kane] You’re shaking your finger at me.
Kane: No, I think… I’m training hard and getting ready for this season. Last summer I didn’t have a full summer of training due to some surgery I had, so I found it really important for me to start training early and get myself in the best shape possible for the upcoming season.
You can listen to the audio here. If you do, you’ll get a better sense of Kane’s deflection skills — Tomas Holmstrom would be awed by how good they are.
As for Kane’s actual comments, I’m not sure they add more insight to what’s pretty well known — he doesn’t really like his current situation. His time in Winnipeg has been marred with too many incidents to mention, yet the most telling development of all might’ve been when he “favorited” a tweet pushing a trade to Philly during Draft weekend. This ended up being, y’know, actual news, which says a lot — the situation has gotten to the point where people are waiting to see what unique, innovative ways Kane will express his desire to get out of Winnipeg.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)