Jul 8, 2014, 5:21 PM EST
On Tuesday, Winnipeg forward Evander Kane appeared on Vancouver’s Team 1040 Radio and had some rather, um, curious comments about his future as a Jet.
The transcription, for your reading pleasure:
[1040 host] Matt Sekeres: Evander, do you want to play for the Winnipeg Jets anymore?
Kane: Well, I think I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now and there’s been speculation and rumors for the three years since I got there. So we’ll see what happens and we’ll carry on as I’m a Winnipeg Jet.
Sekeres: There’s not a yes in there, and some Jets fans might say you know, why doesn’t he want to play for us? Why isn’t he absolutely fully on board for playing for us? [To Kane] You’re shaking your finger at me.
Kane: No, I think… I’m training hard and getting ready for this season. Last summer I didn’t have a full summer of training due to some surgery I had, so I found it really important for me to start training early and get myself in the best shape possible for the upcoming season.
You can listen to the audio here. If you do, you’ll get a better sense of Kane’s deflection skills — Tomas Holmstrom would be awed by how good they are.
As for Kane’s actual comments, I’m not sure they add more insight to what’s pretty well known — he doesn’t really like his current situation. His time in Winnipeg has been marred with too many incidents to mention, yet the most telling development of all might’ve been when he “favorited” a tweet pushing a trade to Philly during Draft weekend. This ended up being, y’know, actual news, which says a lot — the situation has gotten to the point where people are waiting to see what unique, innovative ways Kane will express his desire to get out of Winnipeg.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2