Jun 30, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
The start of NHL free agency tomorrow could prove interesting, with Paul Stastny now destined for the open market.
According to Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports, Stastny and the Colorado Avalanche couldn’t complete a deal, which means the 28-year-old center will become an unrestricted free agent. Stastny is coming off a five-year contract worth $6.6 million, according to Capgeek.com. What will he command on the open market, especially considering this year’s class of UFAs isn’t particularly strong.
In terms of points, Stastny is also coming off his best season since 2009-2010. Meanwhile, the Avalanche made it back to the Stanley Cup playoffs, so at least that gave them the appearance of a team on the upswing. How will losing a veteran center, a very real prospect now, impact that club going forward into next season?
In the last 10 days or so, Stastny has been among the most talked about pending UFAs heading into the signing period, which begins Tuesday.
It started with his agent Matt Keator telling Pierre LeBrun of ESPN that the Avalanche would have “every chance” to retain his client. Nathan MacKinnon, the rookie sensation for 2014, has gone on record as saying the Avalanche need Stastny back.
The latest from four days ago was that half of the league had interest in Stastny. So that could start a bidding battle of epic proportions beginning tomorrow.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)