Jun 30, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
The start of NHL free agency tomorrow could prove interesting, with Paul Stastny now destined for the open market.
According to Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports, Stastny and the Colorado Avalanche couldn’t complete a deal, which means the 28-year-old center will become an unrestricted free agent. Stastny is coming off a five-year contract worth $6.6 million, according to Capgeek.com. What will he command on the open market, especially considering this year’s class of UFAs isn’t particularly strong.
In terms of points, Stastny is also coming off his best season since 2009-2010. Meanwhile, the Avalanche made it back to the Stanley Cup playoffs, so at least that gave them the appearance of a team on the upswing. How will losing a veteran center, a very real prospect now, impact that club going forward into next season?
In the last 10 days or so, Stastny has been among the most talked about pending UFAs heading into the signing period, which begins Tuesday.
It started with his agent Matt Keator telling Pierre LeBrun of ESPN that the Avalanche would have “every chance” to retain his client. Nathan MacKinnon, the rookie sensation for 2014, has gone on record as saying the Avalanche need Stastny back.
The latest from four days ago was that half of the league had interest in Stastny. So that could start a bidding battle of epic proportions beginning tomorrow.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)