Jun 20, 2014, 12:53 PM EST
As soon as Wednesday, other teams are allowed as per the new CBA to reach out to Stastny’s agent, Matt Keator.
“Paul has been open about the fact he wants to stay in Denver,” Keator said Friday. “We will keep talking with Joe throughout the process and give them every chance to retain Paul. We will meet next week and see where things go.”
The plan is for Keator and Sakic to speak in Las Vegas during the NHL awards.
The Avs want to keep both Stastny and pending RFA Ryan O’Reilly, but it’s not clear whether the club’s salary “structure” will allow that. It depends on the players’ contract expectations, and how strongly they feel about those expectations.
“I’m going to touch base and see Matt next week,” Sakic told ESPN.com. “But I also understand Paul has the right to listen to other teams. We hope we can keep Paul, but he’s in that situation where it’s his choice. I don’t blame him if they choose to see what’s out there.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)