Jun 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Turns out that stopgap worked pretty well.
On Tuesday, the ‘Canes re-upped with Hainsey on a three-year, $8 million deal. It’s a nice bump from the one-year, $2 million deal he played on last season — he’ll get $3M in salary this year, $2.5M in 2015-16 and 2016-17 — and a cap-friendly contract ($2.83M annually) for Carolina as well.
Hainsey, 33, proved to be a valuable contributor for the ‘Canes last season, one of just two players to appear in all 82 games. He had four goals and 15 points while averaging over 21 minutes a night and finishing second on the team in blocked shots, with 124.
Though it’s not the flashiest of moves, re-upping with Hainsey is the first significant one from new GM Ron Francis and has to be seen as a reasonably good one. The ability to keep a productive d-man free agent at a reasonable price is no easy feat, especially in a weak market where several veterans are looking to cash in.
It is, as Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish said, “a good year to be a UFA.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)