Jun 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Turns out that stopgap worked pretty well.
On Tuesday, the ‘Canes re-upped with Hainsey on a three-year, $8 million deal. It’s a nice bump from the one-year, $2 million deal he played on last season — he’ll get $3M in salary this year, $2.5M in 2015-16 and 2016-17 — and a cap-friendly contract ($2.83M annually) for Carolina as well.
Hainsey, 33, proved to be a valuable contributor for the ‘Canes last season, one of just two players to appear in all 82 games. He had four goals and 15 points while averaging over 21 minutes a night and finishing second on the team in blocked shots, with 124.
Though it’s not the flashiest of moves, re-upping with Hainsey is the first significant one from new GM Ron Francis and has to be seen as a reasonably good one. The ability to keep a productive d-man free agent at a reasonable price is no easy feat, especially in a weak market where several veterans are looking to cash in.
It is, as Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish said, “a good year to be a UFA.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)