Jun 24, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
Turns out that stopgap worked pretty well.
On Tuesday, the ‘Canes re-upped with Hainsey on a three-year, $8 million deal. It’s a nice bump from the one-year, $2 million deal he played on last season — he’ll get $3M in salary this year, $2.5M in 2015-16 and 2016-17 — and a cap-friendly contract ($2.83M annually) for Carolina as well.
Hainsey, 33, proved to be a valuable contributor for the ‘Canes last season, one of just two players to appear in all 82 games. He had four goals and 15 points while averaging over 21 minutes a night and finishing second on the team in blocked shots, with 124.
Though it’s not the flashiest of moves, re-upping with Hainsey is the first significant one from new GM Ron Francis and has to be seen as a reasonably good one. The ability to keep a productive d-man free agent at a reasonable price is no easy feat, especially in a weak market where several veterans are looking to cash in.
It is, as Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish said, “a good year to be a UFA.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)