Sep 12, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have signed veteran defenseman Ron Hainsey to a one-year, $2 million contract, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer.
The ‘Canes will hope Hainsey, 32, can help fill the void left by Joni Pitkanen, who’s expected to miss the entire 2013-14 season with a serious heel injury.
Hainsey played 47 games for the Winnipeg Jets last season, registering no goals and 13 assists while logging an average of 22:51 in ice time. He became an unrestricted free agent after his five-year, $22.5 million contract expired this summer.
Update (3:27 p.m. ET):
The club has confirmed the signing.
“Ron is an experienced, two-way defenseman,” said general manager Jim Rutherford. “He was very interested in joining our team this summer, and was patient as we waited for updated information about Joni Pitkanen’s injury. We are happy to be able to solidify our defense with a player of this caliber at this stage.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)