Sep 12, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have signed veteran defenseman Ron Hainsey to a one-year, $2 million contract, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer.
The ‘Canes will hope Hainsey, 32, can help fill the void left by Joni Pitkanen, who’s expected to miss the entire 2013-14 season with a serious heel injury.
Hainsey played 47 games for the Winnipeg Jets last season, registering no goals and 13 assists while logging an average of 22:51 in ice time. He became an unrestricted free agent after his five-year, $22.5 million contract expired this summer.
Update (3:27 p.m. ET):
The club has confirmed the signing.
“Ron is an experienced, two-way defenseman,” said general manager Jim Rutherford. “He was very interested in joining our team this summer, and was patient as we waited for updated information about Joni Pitkanen’s injury. We are happy to be able to solidify our defense with a player of this caliber at this stage.”
Asked Hainsey if his involvement with NHLPA in CBA talks may have soured some teams on him. "I really don't know. No one outwardly said it."—
Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) September 12, 2013
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 0
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 13
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 22
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (110)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)