Sep 12, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have signed veteran defenseman Ron Hainsey to a one-year, $2 million contract, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer.
The ‘Canes will hope Hainsey, 32, can help fill the void left by Joni Pitkanen, who’s expected to miss the entire 2013-14 season with a serious heel injury.
Hainsey played 47 games for the Winnipeg Jets last season, registering no goals and 13 assists while logging an average of 22:51 in ice time. He became an unrestricted free agent after his five-year, $22.5 million contract expired this summer.
Update (3:27 p.m. ET):
The club has confirmed the signing.
“Ron is an experienced, two-way defenseman,” said general manager Jim Rutherford. “He was very interested in joining our team this summer, and was patient as we waited for updated information about Joni Pitkanen’s injury. We are happy to be able to solidify our defense with a player of this caliber at this stage.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)