Sep 12, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have signed veteran defenseman Ron Hainsey to a one-year, $2 million contract, according to Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer.
The ‘Canes will hope Hainsey, 32, can help fill the void left by Joni Pitkanen, who’s expected to miss the entire 2013-14 season with a serious heel injury.
Hainsey played 47 games for the Winnipeg Jets last season, registering no goals and 13 assists while logging an average of 22:51 in ice time. He became an unrestricted free agent after his five-year, $22.5 million contract expired this summer.
Update (3:27 p.m. ET):
The club has confirmed the signing.
“Ron is an experienced, two-way defenseman,” said general manager Jim Rutherford. “He was very interested in joining our team this summer, and was patient as we waited for updated information about Joni Pitkanen’s injury. We are happy to be able to solidify our defense with a player of this caliber at this stage.”
Asked Hainsey if his involvement with NHLPA in CBA talks may have soured some teams on him. "I really don't know. No one outwardly said it."—
Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) September 12, 2013
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)