Jun 16, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
This summer is an important one for Edmonton Oilers GM Craig MacTavish. The team hasn’t been to the playoffs since 2006 and being the team that’s become the butt of jokes about failure is never fun.
One thing MacTavish and many other GMs know is the free agency pool isn’t exactly deep as he told Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun.
“This year there are not so many top free agents available,” MacTavish said. “The guys who would normally be secondary targets are now the primary targets. It’s a good year to be a UFA.”
MacTavish said he’d ideally like to add two or three players through free agency and one or two more through trades. One area they need a lot of help is on defense where most of their high-end talent is very green.
With guys like Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse on the horizon and Martin Marincin already having made a splash, getting them swamped in the NHL as kids isn’t ideal. Now you know why Braydon Coburn‘s name has come up again in trade rumors.
One thing is for sure, MacTavish and the Oilers can’t afford to slip up. The playoff drought has become a bit much to bear up north.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)