Jun 16, 2014, 9:09 AM EST
This summer is an important one for Edmonton Oilers GM Craig MacTavish. The team hasn’t been to the playoffs since 2006 and being the team that’s become the butt of jokes about failure is never fun.
One thing MacTavish and many other GMs know is the free agency pool isn’t exactly deep as he told Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun.
“This year there are not so many top free agents available,” MacTavish said. “The guys who would normally be secondary targets are now the primary targets. It’s a good year to be a UFA.”
MacTavish said he’d ideally like to add two or three players through free agency and one or two more through trades. One area they need a lot of help is on defense where most of their high-end talent is very green.
With guys like Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse on the horizon and Martin Marincin already having made a splash, getting them swamped in the NHL as kids isn’t ideal. Now you know why Braydon Coburn‘s name has come up again in trade rumors.
One thing is for sure, MacTavish and the Oilers can’t afford to slip up. The playoff drought has become a bit much to bear up north.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)