Jun 21, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Sometimes a year away from the NHL is all it takes to get back.
That’s what forwards Leo Komarov and Peter Mueller are hoping. ESPN.com’s Craig Custance reports both players are looking to come back to the world’s best hockey league after each spent this season in Europe.
Komarov (pictured) spent this past season with Moscow Dynamo in the KHL. He also played in the Olympics and World Championships for Finland. He had been with the Toronto Maple Leafs previously and had a solid season there, but couldn’t work out a new deal to stick around.
With Moscow, Komarov had 12 goals and 34 points in 52 games. At 27 years old he’ll make an effective third or fourth line player that can agitate anyone and have some skill to boot.
Mueller’s year in Europe was spent in the Swiss National League and playing for Team USA at World Championships. He scored 24 goals for Kloten tying him for the league lead and had 46 points in 49 games. That point total was good for third in the league.
His departure from the NHL was a bit of a surprise, but after a tough season with the Florida Panthers he had to show he still could rack up points. Mission accomplished. Now he’ll hope a team has a need for a depth skill player.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (110)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)