Jul 15, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
That sounds like a hockey franchise’s way of saying that Mueller has a really good personality.
The team took a low-risk peek at the 25-year-old in 2013, and it’s not surprising that the Panthers aren’t over the moon for the former first-round pick (eighth overall in 2006). He scored just 17 points in 43 games, registering a -11 rating on a mess of a team.
Mueller still carries a minor “What if?” factor – he’s likely to connect on more than 6.1 percent of his shots if he gets a chance with an NHL team next season, for one thing – although his opportunities to be anything more than that are starting to fade.
Even so, a thrifty team might be wise to give him a try at a near-minimum/two-way deal.
For some, there will be comic sadness in his departure, as the Panthers boasted a formidable hair and mustache combo this past season in Mueller’s mullet and Kris Versteeg‘s mustache (both via Getty):
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 0
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 28
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)