Jun 10, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic‘s Stanley Cup playoff finished sooner than that of his San Jose Sharks teammates, after suffering injuries in Game 5 of the first round against the L.A. Kings. But, the good news is that it appears he’ll be ready for training camp.
Vlasic suffered an upper-body injury after taking a forearm to the head from Kings’ forward Jarret Stoll. He didn’t play for the remainder of the series. According to the San Jose Mercury News, he also suffered a sprain MCL on the play, and that is the injury that appears to have lingered around a little longer.
But, based on Vlasic’s comments, there is reason for optimism for the steady 27-year-old defenseman.
“It’s a question of time – it’s the exact same injury I had two years ago (at) the world championships and it takes six to eight weeks to heal,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If I take care of it now, I should be 100 percent come training camp.”
The Sharks, despite being up 3-0 and in a position to complete the sweep, went on to lose the first-round series to the Kings.
Their failure two months ago has opened up the possibility of massive change regarding some of their top forwards, including Joe Thornton, who may choose to waive his no-movement clause this off-season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)