Jun 10, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Marc-Edouard Vlasic‘s Stanley Cup playoff finished sooner than that of his San Jose Sharks teammates, after suffering injuries in Game 5 of the first round against the L.A. Kings. But, the good news is that it appears he’ll be ready for training camp.
Vlasic suffered an upper-body injury after taking a forearm to the head from Kings’ forward Jarret Stoll. He didn’t play for the remainder of the series. According to the San Jose Mercury News, he also suffered a sprain MCL on the play, and that is the injury that appears to have lingered around a little longer.
But, based on Vlasic’s comments, there is reason for optimism for the steady 27-year-old defenseman.
“It’s a question of time – it’s the exact same injury I had two years ago (at) the world championships and it takes six to eight weeks to heal,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If I take care of it now, I should be 100 percent come training camp.”
The Sharks, despite being up 3-0 and in a position to complete the sweep, went on to lose the first-round series to the Kings.
Their failure two months ago has opened up the possibility of massive change regarding some of their top forwards, including Joe Thornton, who may choose to waive his no-movement clause this off-season.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)