Jun 10, 2014, 9:23 PM EDT
Marc-Edouard Vlasic‘s Stanley Cup playoff finished sooner than that of his San Jose Sharks teammates, after suffering injuries in Game 5 of the first round against the L.A. Kings. But, the good news is that it appears he’ll be ready for training camp.
Vlasic suffered an upper-body injury after taking a forearm to the head from Kings’ forward Jarret Stoll. He didn’t play for the remainder of the series. According to the San Jose Mercury News, he also suffered a sprain MCL on the play, and that is the injury that appears to have lingered around a little longer.
But, based on Vlasic’s comments, there is reason for optimism for the steady 27-year-old defenseman.
“It’s a question of time – it’s the exact same injury I had two years ago (at) the world championships and it takes six to eight weeks to heal,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If I take care of it now, I should be 100 percent come training camp.”
The Sharks, despite being up 3-0 and in a position to complete the sweep, went on to lose the first-round series to the Kings.
Their failure two months ago has opened up the possibility of massive change regarding some of their top forwards, including Joe Thornton, who may choose to waive his no-movement clause this off-season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)