May 23, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Alain Vigneault wasn’t pleased with one incident involving Montreal Canadiens forward Brandon Prust that the New York Rangers coach believes triggered a later incident involving his own player, Daniel Carcillo.
New York’s players took exception, and targeted Prust a few minutes later.
Carcillo was given a minor penalty for charging after he hit Prust behind the Montreal net, but was given a game misconduct for an incident involving a linesman when a fight broke out between Prust and Derek Dorsett.
As per TSN’s Darren Dreger, officials were going to review the incident involving Carcillo and that he could face a suspension.
“Yeah, we looked at it they missed it,” Vigneault said of the Prust hit on Stepan, then expanding on the Carcillo incident.
“Well, he can’t do that, obviously, what he did there, but we’ll let the league handle that. I believe if a penalty would have been called on Prust, it probably wouldn’t have happened, but there is nothing we can do about it.”
Habs coach Michel Therrien simply said afterward that he was not concerned the league may review the Prust hit.
“It was a bad hit,” Stepan told Katie Strang of ESPN. “I would certainly hope the league looks at it.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)