May 23, 2014, 12:35 AM EST
Alain Vigneault wasn’t pleased with one incident involving Montreal Canadiens forward Brandon Prust that the New York Rangers coach believes triggered a later incident involving his own player, Daniel Carcillo.
New York’s players took exception, and targeted Prust a few minutes later.
Carcillo was given a minor penalty for charging after he hit Prust behind the Montreal net, but was given a game misconduct for an incident involving a linesman when a fight broke out between Prust and Derek Dorsett.
As per TSN’s Darren Dreger, officials were going to review the incident involving Carcillo and that he could face a suspension.
“Yeah, we looked at it they missed it,” Vigneault said of the Prust hit on Stepan, then expanding on the Carcillo incident.
“Well, he can’t do that, obviously, what he did there, but we’ll let the league handle that. I believe if a penalty would have been called on Prust, it probably wouldn’t have happened, but there is nothing we can do about it.”
Habs coach Michel Therrien simply said afterward that he was not concerned the league may review the Prust hit.
“It was a bad hit,” Stepan told Katie Strang of ESPN. “I would certainly hope the league looks at it.”
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 1
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 3
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)