May 23, 2014, 12:35 AM EST
Alain Vigneault wasn’t pleased with one incident involving Montreal Canadiens forward Brandon Prust that the New York Rangers coach believes triggered a later incident involving his own player, Daniel Carcillo.
New York’s players took exception, and targeted Prust a few minutes later.
Carcillo was given a minor penalty for charging after he hit Prust behind the Montreal net, but was given a game misconduct for an incident involving a linesman when a fight broke out between Prust and Derek Dorsett.
As per TSN’s Darren Dreger, officials were going to review the incident involving Carcillo and that he could face a suspension.
“Yeah, we looked at it they missed it,” Vigneault said of the Prust hit on Stepan, then expanding on the Carcillo incident.
“Well, he can’t do that, obviously, what he did there, but we’ll let the league handle that. I believe if a penalty would have been called on Prust, it probably wouldn’t have happened, but there is nothing we can do about it.”
Habs coach Michel Therrien simply said afterward that he was not concerned the league may review the Prust hit.
“It was a bad hit,” Stepan told Katie Strang of ESPN. “I would certainly hope the league looks at it.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)