Blackhawks’ Toews: ‘This series is long from over’

May 10, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Minnesota Wild - Game Four Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks, defending Stanley Cup champions, have found themselves in a series with the Minnesota Wild. It didn’t look like that would be the case a few days ago.

The Wild, down 2-0 early on in this series, have won the last two games. That includes a 4-2 victory over the Blackhawks in Game 4 on Friday. The series now shifts back to Chicago, all tied.

“This series is long from over, so that’s the good news. We’ve got a chance to redeem ourselves and be better than we have been,” said Blackhawks’ captain Jonathan Toews afterward, as per Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Toews added: “It’s playoff hockey. It’s not supposed to be easy. There’s going to be some moments where your stomach drops.”

The Blackhawks were shut out in the third game, and kept to just two goals – Ilya Bryzgalov was sensational for Minnesota after allowing a weak goal to Patrick Sharp – in the fourth game. (Just check out this save late in the third period.)

Chicago might have the advantage in this series on paper when it comes to talent. But the Wild have been able to keep the Blackhawks’ skilled players in check, for the most part, in the past two games.

On Friday, Chicago had just 20 shots on Bryzgalov in the entire game.

“We can look in the mirror and know we can do a better job of getting to their net and creating scoring chances,” said Sharp, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.

1. mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Master of the obvious…

• kaptaanamerica - May 10, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Toes is captain obvious. I hope someone really nails toes.

2. mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 12:59 AM

But it does go to show you the Mindset in the Hawk’s lockerroom. Time for the Wild to POUNCE and steal one in Chicago.

• mp1131211 - May 10, 2014 at 1:00 AM

and I’m not saying that from Chad Graff’s tweet. Talking about Toews quotes.

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 1:09 AM

If the wild can pull it off and still this game 5, I don’t see the hawks winning back at the x in game 6

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 1:09 AM

*steal

• edmonddantes21 - May 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I bet down 3-1 to Detroit last year all Detroit fans said the same thing

• clarke16 - May 11, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Absolutely. The fact that Toews felt compelled to provide reassurance that the *series isn’t over* is reflective of his discomfort in feeling insecure that it might be… It’s called *overcompensation* That which I most fear is that which I’ll most fight…

The first 10 minutes of this game will tell the story. If the Wild can take their best punch and remain standing–it’s the Wild who will feast from that and get stronger throughout the game and the Hawks who will become further frustrated…

Biggest game of the season for both teams. It’s really a one game series at this point the way things have shaken out. The Game 5 winner takes the series. You can book it. ;)

3. 950003cups - May 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Not bad. These boys from the state that brought us 10,000 lakes, can play hockey.

• credible316 - May 10, 2014 at 2:34 AM

I had to rub my eyes and re-read this comment.

This may be the booze talking but you’re alright.

4. blomfeld - May 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM

“This series is long from over” …

NO KIDDING TINSEL TOEWS !!!

and by the way, could the Chicago Blackhawks equal Deanie ?

• no - May 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I’m not 64 years old so I don’t know what you’re referring to

5. slickvb82 - May 10, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Its actually not “long from over”….Wild win in Chi game 5, close it out game 6 in Minny!!!

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:38 AM

I’m likin’ what you’re sayin’ there now… ;)

6. purpleguy - May 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Wonder where that Hawk fan is that said the last game was a fluke and this series would be over in 5 games? Great to see we’ve got a real series.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:37 AM

The old timer? He had a little problem in the bathroom and missed the 3rd period. They’ll be along with a mop soon.

• McFaddensPulledHammy - May 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I said the Hawks took the night off and Game 3 was really what the Hawks didn’t do more than what the Wild did do. Last night’s game was just the opposite. The Wild played a fast game and were better than the Hawks at their game.

I said before the series it was going 7 because I didn’t think there would be a road team victory. I still stand by that.

• tved12 - May 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I picked the Wild in 6 so there’s still a chance!

7. luisrivasbuttocks - May 10, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Cooke’s legs sure were fresh tonight! Bryz was HU-MON-GUS big.

God I love this team! Skol Wild!

8. mikemj - May 10, 2014 at 2:03 AM

How can anyone think “Bryz” played well tonight? Wild outplayed the Hawks for sure but Brygalov is by far the worst goalie left in the playoffs and he played like it tonight. Crawford wasn’t any better either.

• guitarhunterdude - May 10, 2014 at 2:17 AM

If Crawford played just as badly as Bryz, how was Bryz worse “by far?”

No, Bryz isn’t a world-beater. He’s almost exactly NHL average, which makes him below average compared to playoff goalies (especially in the second round.) Is he the worst goalie still in the playoffs? Possibly. But I don’t think it’s by as much as you’re insinuating. And he was pretty awesome tonight outside of the Sharp goal.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:28 AM

On balance–he’s been a whole different goalie since arriving in Minnesota than has been seen from him in a few years… Your outlook on life can do that for you. The man has made clear he is happy here–and he’s playing like a happy man… Thrilled to have him.

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Really? Wow. Your team must stink worse then I thought if Bryz is so horrid but yet your *all-star* defending Stanley Cup winning team has only been able to bury 2 behind him TOTAL in the past two games… Thanks for helping me adjust. I though the Hawks were better.

• bethgoesglobal - May 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Hiller hasn’t exactly played well for the Ducks. So I wouldn’t be so quick to say that Bryz is the worst goalie still playing.

9. strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Anyone else catch Parise leveling Kane at the blue line?

• clarke16 - May 10, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Loved it. Good to see that coming from Parise…

10. mikemj - May 10, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Yes, Parise’s hit was stellar, even though I’m a Hawks fan. Kane usually avoids contact and it sometimes costs Chicago.

11. muckleflugga - May 10, 2014 at 2:19 AM

nice to see wild fans have a chance to howl at the moon …

next goal may win this series, but winning in chicago is going to be difficult regardless … if yeo cuts his horses loose again, who knows … still, having quenneville behind the bench has to favour blackhawks at home … if yeo pulls the upset, wild may never look back until they’re parading a cup

blomfeld, great video

was there ever a crowd in need of control from scowling cops as was that crowd … and the light show, i think the stones’ steal wheel tour owes a debt of gratitude to shaun cassidy for showing the way … electric … me, i’d have loved to have known shaun’s mother, shirley jones, back in the days of oklahoma or carousel –throw in susan dey as well

as for no, seemingly micasa81 in another life-form

you’re clearly young enough so as to not recognize a dangling preposition, odd that for a grad student

• blomfeld - May 10, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Don’t kid yourself Flugga ! … this Shaun Cassidy gig had all the ‘makings’ of another Altamont, trust me ! If you replay the video again, then you’ll be able to ‘easily’ discern numerous ‘anti-social’ elements in the crowd who I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw them ! Long hairs, communists, reactionaries, beatniks, etc. The bottom line is ‘praise be’ that Shaun was astute enough to have hired the ‘necessary’ security for this particular show.

12. blackhawks2010 - May 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM

It appears the Wild bandwagon is filling up fast. Wow

• pone27 - May 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Couldn’t have said it any better myself.

2-2 series, and Wild fans are talking about closing things out. Gotta be a young, inexperienced fan base.

I figured this series would come like this: Home teams take their first two, now we have a best of 3.

Penalties absolutely crushed the Hawks last night. The shots stat does not define how well Minnesota played. IMO, the Wild should have won by a much larger margin. 1 for 5 on the PP is something I would be concerned about, especially when the Hawks don’t usually give out that many opportunities.

No Versteeg and no Shaw clearly showed as well in the depth department for the Hawks. Out of the 5 penalties, the Hawks young guys (Morin, Smith) were guilty of 2 of them.

Keith also had an off game. Excited to see him make up for it tomorrow and show why he deserves the Norris.

• ignath - May 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Wild fans aren’t worried about the PP because the Wild have outplayed the Hawks (and the Avs last series for that matter) in 5 on 5 hockey through most of the series.

Most goals from the Hawks thus far have come on odd man rushes, shorthanded (shameful Wild) or on the PP. Wild have mainly scored 5 on 5.

• bethgoesglobal - May 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM

I might say that the Wild fans are just optimistic and why not? It’s been a while since the team has any sort of push in the playoffs. I know I’ll be cheering on the Wild until their season ends, whenever that is, and I’ll be back to support them when the next season starts. (Isn’t that what a fan is supposed to do?)

• spiciercheez - May 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I’m sure the “2010” in your name is when you became a fan. 4 years is a long time to be a Blackhawks fan though!!! Nice work!

• tved12 - May 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Please, Wild fans have been here telling you how well our team’s been playing since the playoffs started. Funny how you don’t notice that until your team loses a few games. Notice how many less comments there are from Hawks fans though. After game 2 you couldn’t open one of these stories without comments from 50+ Hawks fans. Now I see about 7…

13. youngs79 - May 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Gotta be a young inexperienced fan base? Really?… People in Minnesota, the state of Hockey, have forgotten more about Hockey than people in Illinois will ever know.

• strictlythedanks - May 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM