Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The NHL didn’t appreciate what Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville himself described as “a bush-league move on my part” and he will consequently have to pay a fine of $25,000.
The incident in question occurred during the second overtime period of St. Louis’ 4-3 victory over Chicago last night. The Blackhawks bench boss felt that Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk should have received a delay of game penalty after he appeared to send the puck into the stands while the Blues were killing off a penalty.
When Quenneville didn’t get his way, this happened:
This isn’t the first time Quenneville has been fined for expressing his anger over an officials decision. He received a $10,000 fine after he called the refereeing a “disgrace” when forward Raffi Torres wasn’t penalized for his high hit on Marian Hossa. Torres was, of course, later handed a 25-game suspension that was eventually reduced to 21 contests.
In 2009, he also lost $10,000 after calling Matt Walker’s roughing penalty a “probably the worst call in the history of sports.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)