Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
The NHL didn’t appreciate what Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville himself described as “a bush-league move on my part” and he will consequently have to pay a fine of $25,000.
The incident in question occurred during the second overtime period of St. Louis’ 4-3 victory over Chicago last night. The Blackhawks bench boss felt that Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk should have received a delay of game penalty after he appeared to send the puck into the stands while the Blues were killing off a penalty.
When Quenneville didn’t get his way, this happened:
This isn’t the first time Quenneville has been fined for expressing his anger over an officials decision. He received a $10,000 fine after he called the refereeing a “disgrace” when forward Raffi Torres wasn’t penalized for his high hit on Marian Hossa. Torres was, of course, later handed a 25-game suspension that was eventually reduced to 21 contests.
In 2009, he also lost $10,000 after calling Matt Walker’s roughing penalty a “probably the worst call in the history of sports.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)