Apr 18, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville expressed remorse on Friday after making a gesture towards referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock during the second overtime of last night’s 4-3 loss to St. Louis.
Per CSN’s Tracey Myers:
Q apologized for his reaction last night: “It was a bush-league move on my part.” #Blackhawks
— Tracey Myers (@TramyersCSN) April 18, 2014
Quenneville was irate that officials opted not to whistle Kevin Shattenkirk for a delay of game penalty after he appeared to flip the puck over the glass while killing a penalty. The call would’ve given Chicago a 5-on-3 man advantage, but the referees claimed ‘Hawks forward Andrew Shaw also made contact with the puck.
That decision led to this…
In his apology, Quenneville added his gesture “wasn’t very appropriate at all,” but hadn’t heard from the league about possible punishment. Earlier today, it was learned the NHL was looking into the incident.
Quenneville does have a history with getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres-Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)