Apr 18, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville expressed remorse on Friday after making a gesture towards referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock during the second overtime of last night’s 4-3 loss to St. Louis.
Per CSN’s Tracey Myers:
Q apologized for his reaction last night: “It was a bush-league move on my part.” #Blackhawks
— Tracey Myers (@TramyersCSN) April 18, 2014
Quenneville was irate that officials opted not to whistle Kevin Shattenkirk for a delay of game penalty after he appeared to flip the puck over the glass while killing a penalty. The call would’ve given Chicago a 5-on-3 man advantage, but the referees claimed ‘Hawks forward Andrew Shaw also made contact with the puck.
That decision led to this…
In his apology, Quenneville added his gesture “wasn’t very appropriate at all,” but hadn’t heard from the league about possible punishment. Earlier today, it was learned the NHL was looking into the incident.
Quenneville does have a history with getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres–Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)