Apr 18, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville expressed remorse on Friday after making a gesture towards referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock during the second overtime of last night’s 4-3 loss to St. Louis.
Per CSN’s Tracey Myers:
Q apologized for his reaction last night: “It was a bush-league move on my part.” #Blackhawks
— Tracey Myers (@TramyersCSN) April 18, 2014
Quenneville was irate that officials opted not to whistle Kevin Shattenkirk for a delay of game penalty after he appeared to flip the puck over the glass while killing a penalty. The call would’ve given Chicago a 5-on-3 man advantage, but the referees claimed ‘Hawks forward Andrew Shaw also made contact with the puck.
That decision led to this…
In his apology, Quenneville added his gesture “wasn’t very appropriate at all,” but hadn’t heard from the league about possible punishment. Earlier today, it was learned the NHL was looking into the incident.
Quenneville does have a history with getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres-Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)