Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Joel Quenneville could be in hot water.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the NHL is looking into gestures made by the Chicago head coach during the second overtime period of Thursday’s 4-3 OT loss to St. Louis — gestures that suggested the refereeing crew of Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock lacked, uh, a certain something in failing to make a delay of game call on the Blues with the ‘Hawks on the power-play:
It’ll be very interesting to see what the league does here, especially in light of Quenneville’s history of getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres-Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)