Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Joel Quenneville could be in hot water.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the NHL is looking into gestures made by the Chicago head coach during the second overtime period of Thursday’s 4-3 OT loss to St. Louis — gestures that suggested the refereeing crew of Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock lacked, uh, a certain something in failing to make a delay of game call on the Blues with the ‘Hawks on the power-play:
It’ll be very interesting to see what the league does here, especially in light of Quenneville’s history of getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres-Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)