Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Joel Quenneville could be in hot water.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the NHL is looking into gestures made by the Chicago head coach during the second overtime period of Thursday’s 4-3 OT loss to St. Louis — gestures that suggested the refereeing crew of Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock lacked, uh, a certain something in failing to make a delay of game call on the Blues with the ‘Hawks on the power-play:
It’ll be very interesting to see what the league does here, especially in light of Quenneville’s history of getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres–Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)