Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Joel Quenneville could be in hot water.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the NHL is looking into gestures made by the Chicago head coach during the second overtime period of Thursday’s 4-3 OT loss to St. Louis — gestures that suggested the refereeing crew of Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock lacked, uh, a certain something in failing to make a delay of game call on the Blues with the ‘Hawks on the power-play:
It’ll be very interesting to see what the league does here, especially in light of Quenneville’s history of getting after officials. In 2012, he was fined $10,000 for calling referees a “disgrace” after they failed to make a penalty call on the infamous Raffi Torres–Marian Hossa hit and, in 2009, unleashed this fury following a playoff game against Detroit, in which Matt Walker was given a controversial roughing penalty.
“I think we witnessed probably the worst call in the history of sports there. Nothing play. They scored, it’s 3-0. They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on the ice…never seen anything like it.”
Those comments earned Quenneville a $10,000 fine as well.
Update: An NHL spokesman has confirmed to PHT that director of hockey ops Colin Campbell is looking at the incident.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)