Apr 5, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
For about a tenth of Friday’s contest, the Ottawa Senators were spectacular. However, a fast 3-0 lead proved insufficient in their eventual 7-4 collapse against Montreal.
At the start of Senators coach Paul MacLean’s postgame press conference, he was asked about his feelings regarding tonight’s game. He let the question hang for a second.
“I have none,” MacLean said. “I’m numb.”
As he put it, the Senators simply stopped playing after they got the 3-0 lead. He started to elaborate, but seemed to give up mid-sentence by suggesting that they starting giving the Canadiens “short rinks and all the…regular adjectives that we’ve used all year long.”
MacLean wouldn’t term the game as frustrating and needed a bit of time to find the right word: “Brutal.”
It was nearly a month ago that he complained about the team’s work ethic. This certainly wasn’t what he was looking for.
You can watch his full press conference below, including his argument that a Senators’ disallowed goal and Montreal’s Lars Eller‘s similar goal are an example of how anything that could go wrong, has this season:
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)