Apr 5, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
For about a tenth of Friday’s contest, the Ottawa Senators were spectacular. However, a fast 3-0 lead proved insufficient in their eventual 7-4 collapse against Montreal.
At the start of Senators coach Paul MacLean’s postgame press conference, he was asked about his feelings regarding tonight’s game. He let the question hang for a second.
“I have none,” MacLean said. “I’m numb.”
As he put it, the Senators simply stopped playing after they got the 3-0 lead. He started to elaborate, but seemed to give up mid-sentence by suggesting that they starting giving the Canadiens “short rinks and all the…regular adjectives that we’ve used all year long.”
MacLean wouldn’t term the game as frustrating and needed a bit of time to find the right word: “Brutal.”
It was nearly a month ago that he complained about the team’s work ethic. This certainly wasn’t what he was looking for.
You can watch his full press conference below, including his argument that a Senators’ disallowed goal and Montreal’s Lars Eller‘s similar goal are an example of how anything that could go wrong, has this season:
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (68)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)