Mar 8, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Senators coach Paul MacLean remarked that the team needs more of that, though preferably when they’re actually playing games.
If the theme of last season was that of an underrated group finding ways to win despite missing many of their key players due to injuries, then this year is about failing to live up to the expectations of others by putting forth a questionable effort.
That seems to be how Senators coach Paul MacLean sees it, who admitted that he’s bothered by the fact that we’re now in March and he still has to talk about the team’s work ethic.
“Every day we come to work, it’s ‘why don’t we play harder, why aren’t we a better group?’ That’s the things that we discuss every day, and we’re still searching for a solution,” MacLean told the Ottawa Citizen.
“All I know is we have 19 more games to play, and we’ve got to keep working on it. We can’t just let it slide, we have to continue to work at it. This isn’t just a one-year type of thing.”
Ottawa is six points shy of a Wild Card spot and they would need to pass four teams in order to make the postseason. They will play against Winnipeg at 3:00 p.m. ET today.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)