Mar 29, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Could Ottawa Senators coach Paul MacLean really get fired less than 12 months after he won the Jack Adams Award?
Probably not, but it certainly seems like his standing with the team has been significantly diminished by Ottawa’s poor performance in the 2013-14 campaign.
GM Bryan Murray wants to wait until the season’s over before deciding what changes need to be made, but when asked specifically about MacLean’s future during an interview on TSN 1200, Murray offered lukewarm support at best.
“I don’t have any definite answer but Paul (MacLean) has got a contract going forward,” said Murray, per the Ottawa Sun. “He was coach of the year last year. I don’t know what happened this year necessarily as far as performance is concerned.”
After that, Murray did throw in that he thinks MacLean’s a good coach.
Anything could happen, but the Senators aren’t likely to start the 2014-15 campaign with a new bench boss. That being said, it seems reasonable to believe that if Ottawa struggles out of the gate next season, MacLean will be on the hot seat.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 6
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)