Mar 29, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Could Ottawa Senators coach Paul MacLean really get fired less than 12 months after he won the Jack Adams Award?
Probably not, but it certainly seems like his standing with the team has been significantly diminished by Ottawa’s poor performance in the 2013-14 campaign.
GM Bryan Murray wants to wait until the season’s over before deciding what changes need to be made, but when asked specifically about MacLean’s future during an interview on TSN 1200, Murray offered lukewarm support at best.
“I don’t have any definite answer but Paul (MacLean) has got a contract going forward,” said Murray, per the Ottawa Sun. “He was coach of the year last year. I don’t know what happened this year necessarily as far as performance is concerned.”
After that, Murray did throw in that he thinks MacLean’s a good coach.
Anything could happen, but the Senators aren’t likely to start the 2014-15 campaign with a new bench boss. That being said, it seems reasonable to believe that if Ottawa struggles out of the gate next season, MacLean will be on the hot seat.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)