Mar 29, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Could Ottawa Senators coach Paul MacLean really get fired less than 12 months after he won the Jack Adams Award?
Probably not, but it certainly seems like his standing with the team has been significantly diminished by Ottawa’s poor performance in the 2013-14 campaign.
GM Bryan Murray wants to wait until the season’s over before deciding what changes need to be made, but when asked specifically about MacLean’s future during an interview on TSN 1200, Murray offered lukewarm support at best.
“I don’t have any definite answer but Paul (MacLean) has got a contract going forward,” said Murray, per the Ottawa Sun. “He was coach of the year last year. I don’t know what happened this year necessarily as far as performance is concerned.”
After that, Murray did throw in that he thinks MacLean’s a good coach.
Anything could happen, but the Senators aren’t likely to start the 2014-15 campaign with a new bench boss. That being said, it seems reasonable to believe that if Ottawa struggles out of the gate next season, MacLean will be on the hot seat.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)