Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s season might end the way it began: Dealing with groin problems.
Laich is headed to St. Louis to see a groin specialist to examine the injury he’s been dealing with on and off all season. As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares, it might be enough to end his season.
“We haven’t been given a timetable, but I did here we’d have to make the playoffs [for Laich to return], but not for the rest of the [regular season],” Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates said.
What’s aggravating about the ongoing groin problem for the Caps and Laich is that he had it operated on last season. He’s missed 18 games this season because of it.
As it is, the Capitals are fighting to just make the postseason.
Washington is two points back of both the Blue Jackets and Rangers in the Metropolitan Division. The Jackets hold down third while the Rangers are in the second wild card position. With things being as tight as they are in the East, things fluctuate constantly and the Caps will be on that fence the rest of the way unless they go on a tear.
If they want to see Laich back in the lineup again this season, it sounds like it’ll be playoffs or bust to make it a reality.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)