Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s season might end the way it began: Dealing with groin problems.
Laich is headed to St. Louis to see a groin specialist to examine the injury he’s been dealing with on and off all season. As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares, it might be enough to end his season.
“We haven’t been given a timetable, but I did here we’d have to make the playoffs [for Laich to return], but not for the rest of the [regular season],” Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates said.
What’s aggravating about the ongoing groin problem for the Caps and Laich is that he had it operated on last season. He’s missed 18 games this season because of it.
As it is, the Capitals are fighting to just make the postseason.
Washington is two points back of both the Blue Jackets and Rangers in the Metropolitan Division. The Jackets hold down third while the Rangers are in the second wild card position. With things being as tight as they are in the East, things fluctuate constantly and the Caps will be on that fence the rest of the way unless they go on a tear.
If they want to see Laich back in the lineup again this season, it sounds like it’ll be playoffs or bust to make it a reality.
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)