Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s season might end the way it began: Dealing with groin problems.
Laich is headed to St. Louis to see a groin specialist to examine the injury he’s been dealing with on and off all season. As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares, it might be enough to end his season.
“We haven’t been given a timetable, but I did here we’d have to make the playoffs [for Laich to return], but not for the rest of the [regular season],” Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates said.
What’s aggravating about the ongoing groin problem for the Caps and Laich is that he had it operated on last season. He’s missed 18 games this season because of it.
As it is, the Capitals are fighting to just make the postseason.
Washington is two points back of both the Blue Jackets and Rangers in the Metropolitan Division. The Jackets hold down third while the Rangers are in the second wild card position. With things being as tight as they are in the East, things fluctuate constantly and the Caps will be on that fence the rest of the way unless they go on a tear.
If they want to see Laich back in the lineup again this season, it sounds like it’ll be playoffs or bust to make it a reality.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)