Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s season might end the way it began: Dealing with groin problems.
Laich is headed to St. Louis to see a groin specialist to examine the injury he’s been dealing with on and off all season. As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares, it might be enough to end his season.
“We haven’t been given a timetable, but I did here we’d have to make the playoffs [for Laich to return], but not for the rest of the [regular season],” Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates said.
What’s aggravating about the ongoing groin problem for the Caps and Laich is that he had it operated on last season. He’s missed 18 games this season because of it.
As it is, the Capitals are fighting to just make the postseason.
Washington is two points back of both the Blue Jackets and Rangers in the Metropolitan Division. The Jackets hold down third while the Rangers are in the second wild card position. With things being as tight as they are in the East, things fluctuate constantly and the Caps will be on that fence the rest of the way unless they go on a tear.
If they want to see Laich back in the lineup again this season, it sounds like it’ll be playoffs or bust to make it a reality.
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 23
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3