Mar 6, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Brooks Laich is hurt and unable to play.
From the Washington Post, ahead of the Capitals’ game tonight in Boston:
Laich aggravated the nagging groin problem that has plagued him over the last two seasons Wednesday night in Philadelphia and, in what isn’t an encouraging sign, the veteran forward did not stay on the road with the team but is on his way back to Washington.
As the end of the season draws closer, expect to hear more chatter about a possible compliance buyout for Laich. Signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million, the 30-year-old’s contract has become a liability for the club.
One caveat: even if the Caps do want to use their remaining compliance buyout on Laich, there’s always the possibility he’s not healthy enough for them to do so. We’ve seen injuries restrict a team’s ability to buy out players before (see: Martin Havlat in San Jose).
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 10
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 21
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 47
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)