Mar 6, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
Brooks Laich is hurt and unable to play.
From the Washington Post, ahead of the Capitals’ game tonight in Boston:
Laich aggravated the nagging groin problem that has plagued him over the last two seasons Wednesday night in Philadelphia and, in what isn’t an encouraging sign, the veteran forward did not stay on the road with the team but is on his way back to Washington.
As the end of the season draws closer, expect to hear more chatter about a possible compliance buyout for Laich. Signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million, the 30-year-old’s contract has become a liability for the club.
One caveat: even if the Caps do want to use their remaining compliance buyout on Laich, there’s always the possibility he’s not healthy enough for them to do so. We’ve seen injuries restrict a team’s ability to buy out players before (see: Martin Havlat in San Jose).
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)