Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Vancouver forward Zack Kassian has been suspended three games for boarding Stars defenseman Brenden Dillon Thursday night in Dallas.
According to the NHL, Kassian boarded Dillon “with significant force,” raising the punishment from a major penalty to a suspension.
The league also ruled that Kassian had enough time to avoid the check after Dillon turned his back.
Kassian, 23, is considered a repeat offender under the CBA, as a result of his suspension for high-sticking Edmonton’s Sam Gagner in the preseason.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 19
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 8
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)