Sep 23, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
Here’s video explanation of the decision via Brendan Shanahan and the NHL:
Obviously, the Oilers aren’t happy with Kassian, 22. Gagner is out indefinitely with a broken jaw suffered from that high-sticking infraction.
Kassian will be eligible to play again in an Oct. 12 home game against the Montreal Canadiens. He sidesteps the Canucks’ first contest vs. the Oilers (home on Oct. 5), so Edmonton would have to wait until Dec. 13 to pay the polarizing pest a visit.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11