Mar 7, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
After a rocky first period against the Dallas Stars, it’s unclear if Eddie Lack will be back in the middle frame for the Vancouver Canucks. One thing’s certain, though: Zack Kassian won’t.
The rugged winger received a game misconduct and five-minute major for boarding Stars defenseman Brenden Dillon on Thursday. Kassian already was suspended for five games earlier this season thanks to that hi-sticking infraction on Edmonton Oilers forward Sam Gagner and came into the NHL with a reputation for questionable hits.
Video of the hit will be added upon availability, but here are two takes from the game in the meantime:
Zack Kassian gets a five-minute major for boarding Brenden Dillon. Dillon shook up, walks to locker room.—
Mike Heika (@MikeHeika) March 07, 2014
Not exactly ideal timing for a Canucks team that is grasping for optimism, but at least there’s time for Vancouver to turn it around.
(Of course, a pessimist might point out that there’s also plenty of time for things to get even worse.)
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)