Mar 2, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
The Blackhawks’ captain scored twice – including a beauty in the second period in which he dangled Penguins’ defenseman Brooks Orpik then slid the puck five-hole on Marc-Andre Fleury – and had an assist. The more than 60,000 fans that braved the cold added to the atmosphere, as did the weather, which produced a constant and at times heavy snowfall throughout the game.
“It honestly did feel like we were playing shinny hockey in the backyard,” Toews told reporters afterward.
“We were playing smart in our own end the way we normally would. But we were making plays and just throwing everything on net and hoping for the best. So I think after everything was said and done, we had a lot of fun out there playing.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5