Discuss: Blackhawks plow over Penguins in Stadium Series snow show

Mar 1, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stadium Series - Pittsburgh Penguins v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks weren’t just facing a good hockey team in the Pittsburgh Penguins. They were also battling the elements of snow and wind in Saturday’s Stadium Series game at Soldier Field.

The Blackhawks, thanks to a pair of goals and an assist from captain Jonathan Toews, plowed their way to a 5-1 victory over the visiting Penguins, in what could be a preview of a possible Stanley Cup Final match-up later in the spring.

Let’s discuss:

• Let’s start with the aforementioned Jonathan Toews. What a dangle he put on Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik to give the Blackhawks a two-goal lead in the second period. He then slid the puck through the legs of Marc-Andre Fleury, just sweeping over the goal line with the snow piling up.
  • The Blackhawks jump two points ahead of the St. Louis Blues for top spot in the Central Division. The Blues, however, have now three games in hand.
  • Sidney Crosby was held off the score sheet, as was Chris Kunitz.
  • Marian Hossa left the game early in the second period with an upper-body injury, suffered in the first period on a heavy body check along the end boards. He did not return.
  • How about that weather? The snow fell hard at times, and made it difficult for players to control the puck. Those tasked with shoveling the snow had a busy night, with massive accumulations along the end boards.
  • Attendance for tonight, according to the Blackhawks’ Twitter account: 62,921 fans, most likely cold and covered in snow. But it looked fun.
  • NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s statement on Saturday’s Stadium Series game: “The skill and perseverance of our players, combined with the enthusiasm and energy of the greatest fans in sports, created a memorable culmination for the 2014 Coors Light Stadium Series. We thank the City of Chicago and Soldier Field for the rousing welcome; we thank the Blackhawks – in particular, Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough – for hosting and Penguins for participating; and we celebrate the fact that more than 60,000 people were able to have so much fun at a hockey game on such a cold and snowy night.”

1. hammerhead5573 - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Blackhawks 5, Brent Seabrook 1

2. penguins87and71 - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:37 PM

What a disaster. This game really opened my eyes, the Penguins are a good team but the Blackhawks are on a different level. This game made me realize that the Penguins are most likely not a Stanley Cup caliber team. Hopefully the Penguins will do something at the trade deadline to bolster their lineup and propel them to being a Stanley Cup Caliber team, but as currently constructed the Penguins won’t win the Stanley Cup. I also think the injuries on defense are finally starting to catch up to the Penguins, I think their really missing Letang and Martin.

• hammerhead5573 - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM

The problem with their game tonight is they we’re passing too much. The snow made the passing game nonexistent and they were trying for the perfect pass. They needed to 1 time the puck more. It seemed to me the Hawks caught on to that very early.

• c9castine - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

people act like before the olympic break Chicago didn’t go on a 27 game streak where they only won 12 games and went 1-9 in overtime before they went “flying high” into the break at 3-1-1.

every game is different. stills lots of hockey to play. things need to be improved but no intelligent person analyzes their whole life (in this case it seems like about a 5 year time frame) based on 1 game, or 1 day. or for that matter, a few games.

you people need to pull yourselves together, grow a set, get on the train….

or go home and stay there. please.

3. penguins87and71 - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I personally don’t like outdoor games, I may be in the minority but I just don’t care for them. I think if this game was played indoors it would have been a much more exciting fast game. The thing I don’t like about outdoor games is the conditions usually slows the game down, I prefer a faster pace game but that’s just me, the quality of play is also not usually as good.

• subliminalnoize - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I’m not a fan of the stadium series because it over saturates the idea, but I will say that I love watching the pros play out in the snow under the lights. There is nothing like it, the game just looks epic.

4. muckleflugga - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM

yeah … great game

it’s a shame everyone showed up but penguins … tumbling into their season-ending spiral earlier than usual .. maybe they do need help from a stiff like ryan kesler

has the chicago pd all-points bulletin found sid … missing from all galaxy consideration since … before the olympics

there was an apparition in the games themselves and in tonight’s action doing award-worthy keslarian kartwheels … sid the skid incarnate

and orpik … everyone’s favourite pylon … datsyuk blew by him on one leg at the olympics … he was toews’ favourite girl tonight

penguins used and abused

lmao

• 101starmymedic - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM

All of your comments are like a hilariously sarcastic narrative. Love it.

• c9castine - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM

oh look muckiflugger found his soul mate.

5. penvik - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Umm, the penguins mailed that one in. Forget it ever happened and move on. Please stop these outdoor games, that’s not NHL hockey.

Orpik is a shell of his former self.

• penguins87and71 - Mar 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I don’t think the Penguins mailed this game in. I think that the Bkackhawks are just a better then the Penguins, and they proved that tonight. The Blackhawks pretty much dominated from the start of the game. I agree that Orpik has to go, his more of a liability then a asset at this point in his career.

• gret9 - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM

penvik – whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better. Please give credit where it is due. That is what I would have done if the score was reversed.

6. pitpenguinsrulez - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:07 AM

I honestly could just rant & rant on this pathetic game tonight but then again I’d rather not.

7. penguins87and71 - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM

I need to rant. This is the only place where I can actually voice my frustrations. It’s actually therapeutic believe it or not, after I vent I actually feel much better. I actually consider this website kind of like a group therapy session for me.

8. penzfan329 - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM

U guys are idiots. This was one bad game. The next game could go either way. And to talk so much on orpik who is one of our top d guys. Cmon. The pens overall are getting away from a defensive game. Shero needs to add before the deadline

• penguins87and71 - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM

How am I an idiot? Yes it was one bad game, but it’s a little concerning when you get blown out by a team that you could see in the Stanley Cup Finals. I guess I would have thought they would have shown up and played to an outdoor game that was on primetime national tv. As for Orpik you and I must be seeing two different players because his game has been going down hill for a couple of years now, the Penguins need to let him go during the offseason.

• c9castine - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Blackhawks have Been blown out by bottom dwellers this year. This game meant nothing. Orpik got beat, they all get beat, and it was by a good player

Pens played awful and Blackhawks played good and looked like they were actually into it and having fun. Kudos to them for sure.

There’s really no argument here I just think it’s funny that people make such dramatic conclusions based on 1 game or even a few game stretch.

I certainly wouldn’t want you to be a part of any team or workforce alongside me because there’s a lot of quitters and emotional people in here. Penguins71and87 is probably the best example. If you think watching two teams play in 3 inches of snow tells you much about anything your a little simple minded to say the least. And….

Que the pens haters, fair weather fans, and and know it alls……

9. blomfeld - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:58 AM

THE HARDER THEY TRY, THE HARDER THEY FAIL …

Friends, upon coming home tonight I tuned into this game right away. But then within ‘about’ five minutes from my arrival I proceeded to switch channels over to the LPGA golf tournament in Singapore, for such was the complete ‘junk’ which my eyes were beholden to there in Chicago ! The bottom line is that Bettman should be arrested and this ‘Stadium Series’ crap should be cancelled immediately ! And don’t even get me started on what’s going to happen here in Vancouver tomorrow. You ‘stadium’ lovers make us ‘true’ hockey fans sick and the sooner the good Lord ‘deals’ with you people, the better !

GO KINGS GO !! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!

• arlingtonrob - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:24 AM

It seems we have a hockey fascist in our midst…

Lighten up Francis.

• slysipops - Mar 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM

tell em BLOMS ! even though the BEST team won the game was pathetic with the elements ! playing football ( which is slow anyway ) in the snow and wind is one thing …but hockey is a joke in this weather ! any of you guys played outdoor games in the wind and snow ? ….it sucks ! and please don’t give me anymore of this …”it reminds me of when i was a kid crap ” pond hockey is not NHL hockey ….even with pros playing it !

10. muckleflugga - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:19 AM

blomfeld

i thought this was the best of this year’s series … hawks were in it completely and had the emotion … it meant something … the game was enjoyable

fleury kept it close as did the iron but penguins seemed to suffer from the conditions more so than hawks … while it’s fun to poke the penguins supporters i hardly think this game is indicative of great need for trade deadline dramatics

trade talk poisons teams as much as trades themselves … too many cooks in the kitchen

as for the game the pure football stadiums are suited to the format … but man those fans should get a free whiskey or two to go with complimentary heated seat pads

if you’re bored, drop the lpga and go here … it will be worth it

• blomfeld - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Friend, I’ll take watching the LPGA over Ovechkin ‘every’ day of the week that ends with a ‘Y’ ! :)

*** earlier today during a ‘routine’ stop on the I-5 freeway in Los Angeles***

LAPD officer: driver’s license and registration please …

Flugga: here you go … is there a problem officer ?

LAPD officer: get out of the car right now and keep your hands in the air !

Flugga: hey man, take it easy … what’s the problem here ?

LAPD officer: these Ovechkin tapes are the ‘problem’ pal ! (handcuffs being slapped on)

Flugga: look man, I didn’t know those were illegal here ?

LAPD officer: this is King’s country buddy, so just ‘zip it’ and do what we say !

• slysipops - Mar 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

lol !!

• c9castine - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM

As long as Paula creamer is on the screen count me in.

11. Hockeyfan - Mar 2, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Very disappointed the pens didn’t show up for this game on such a big stage. Should have been a great match but was one sided from the get go. Pens D is hurting badly. Depres needs to go back to AHL. But mostly disappointed that Crosby didn’t elevate his game or his team Clearly Toews is or at least for that game was the better player, better competitor. Crosby may be leading the league in points may be “the best” player in the league but not seeing the all out dominate play.

12. patshal - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Great game

13. penvik - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Crosby hasn’t been himself for a LONG time, last year maybe?? It’s frustrating and it’s because he’s not engaging, he fumbles pucks, misses passes and I’ve never seen him miss on so many scoring chances. The Penguins have major issues that need to be taken care of.

1. Dan Bylsma cannot win big games as coach. He is the best meaningless games coach there ever was.

2. Orpik is done, I hate to see this because damn did he go downhill fast and he’s old but not that old, just pathetic from him

3. We used to have 3 lines, what happened?? This one is on Shero, you don’t go from the best 3rd line in hockey to absolutely NO third or fourth line at all. WTF

4. Overall emotion and weak mental game. We break down so fast when things aren’t going well. Sid and Geno both took stupid penalties for slashing the previous game against the Habs, getting really tired of this, why can’t they ignore that type of stuff and play hockey. I used to blame the refs but for god sake get over it, the refs are going to let other teams abuse our stars, that’s the way it is so DEAL with it. Again this could be pointed to as a Bylsma problem.

* Fleury DID make a lot of saves last night but for 2 games I’ve seen too many goals. He needed to limit the hawks to 3 last night to be considered good. He was average and against Montreal he was horrible. Here we go!!! Pitts is so frustrating, we’re continuously told we have a great team and for some reason they decide to play enough in the regular season to have a good record, but anytime they play a big game or have a national audience, they crap the bed.

I remember watching this team with Michel Therrien behind the bench and you just knew other teams had a very hard time beating us, with Bylsma we get out coached, outmatched, and outplayed game in and game out. FRUSTRATED SINCE 2010!!

• johninpa - Mar 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM

A quick check at nhl.com shows Crosby still leading scoring, they are first in power play and second in penalty kill, Fleury is top goalie in combined stats and the Pens are still leading the Eastern conference by 5 points and the Metropolitan division by 14. The Pens were miserable under Therrien, with awesome offensive weapons that were thwarted by his defensive game. Players didn’t like playing under him, and it showed when Bylsma took over – remember, they won the Cup.

Sure, they looked bad last night. I’d say that the snow neutralized the passing game that they rely heavily on. I also have to wonder if it doesn’t take a few games to get back to the Penguins system, since they had players playing for four different Olympic teams and four different systems. Personally, I’ll stick with the Pens as my team. Contrary to your assessment, I’ve got complete faith in Shero and Bylsma, as well as the rest of the team.

14. handsofsweed - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Well, I’ve seen all I need to see concerning the Pens playing in terrible weather/massive precipitation. This is the third outdoor game for Pittsburgh and they looked bad in all three. Even the win at Buffalo in the snowstorm looked mediocre at best.

The Penguins just do not play well in snowstorms or downpours. (Ironic mascot name considering this, no?)

15. nyrnashty - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM

The NHL is going to experiment with indoor games in 5 years from now haha, no last nights game was pretty cool, I just hope it doesn’t become too many outdoor games a year with the high prices and poor sight lines that usually come with all the hype.

16. slysipops - Mar 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

did you catch the camera shot from behind the fans in the 3rd period or so? it gave perspective as to how far away they were from the rink. i wonder why people would pay so much and put up with the elements, to try and watch a game from in the boondocks ? if the game was blacked out in CHICAGO they would have been better off to drive 100 miles and watch it at a bar or motel !

Top 10 NHL Player Searches