Mar 1, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks weren’t just facing a good hockey team in the Pittsburgh Penguins. They were also battling the elements of snow and wind in Saturday’s Stadium Series game at Soldier Field.
The Blackhawks, thanks to a pair of goals and an assist from captain Jonathan Toews, plowed their way to a 5-1 victory over the visiting Penguins, in what could be a preview of a possible Stanley Cup Final match-up later in the spring.
- Let’s start with the aforementioned Jonathan Toews. What a dangle he put on Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik to give the Blackhawks a two-goal lead in the second period. He then slid the puck through the legs of Marc-Andre Fleury, just sweeping over the goal line with the snow piling up.
- The Blackhawks jump two points ahead of the St. Louis Blues for top spot in the Central Division. The Blues, however, have now three games in hand.
- Sidney Crosby was held off the score sheet, as was Chris Kunitz.
- Marian Hossa left the game early in the second period with an upper-body injury, suffered in the first period on a heavy body check along the end boards. He did not return.
- How about that weather? The snow fell hard at times, and made it difficult for players to control the puck. Those tasked with shoveling the snow had a busy night, with massive accumulations along the end boards.
- Attendance for tonight, according to the Blackhawks’ Twitter account: 62,921 fans, most likely cold and covered in snow. But it looked fun.
- NHL commissioner Gary Bettman’s statement on Saturday’s Stadium Series game: “The skill and perseverance of our players, combined with the enthusiasm and energy of the greatest fans in sports, created a memorable culmination for the 2014 Coors Light Stadium Series. We thank the City of Chicago and Soldier Field for the rousing welcome; we thank the Blackhawks – in particular, Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough – for hosting and Penguins for participating; and we celebrate the fact that more than 60,000 people were able to have so much fun at a hockey game on such a cold and snowy night.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)