Feb 27, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
If Ryan Callahan and the New York Rangers are going to work out a last-minute contract extension and avoid a trade, it won’t be a result of anything that’s been negotiated in the last few weeks.
That’s because, per ESPNNewYork.com, Callahan’s agent and the club haven’t even spoken in the last few weeks.
“I haven’t talked to them since before the Olympics,” Steve Bartlett said yesterday morning. “There’s really been no dialogue since I left. Either we talk this week or it’ll be pretty clear what direction they’ve decided to take.”
It’s been reported there’s a 99 percent chance that Callahan will be dealt before Wednesday’s deadline, and this news would seem to support that probability.
Bartlett does, however, maintain that Callahan’s “first choice is to make a deal with the Rangers.”
The question then is how badly he wants to stay put. Unless this is all just a big bluff by general manager Glen Sather, it sounds like Callahan will have to drop his contract demands if he wants to remain with the Rangers.
An update from Pat “Stop Coaching” Leonard:
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)