Feb 27, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
If Ryan Callahan and the New York Rangers are going to work out a last-minute contract extension and avoid a trade, it won’t be a result of anything that’s been negotiated in the last few weeks.
That’s because, per ESPNNewYork.com, Callahan’s agent and the club haven’t even spoken in the last few weeks.
“I haven’t talked to them since before the Olympics,” Steve Bartlett said yesterday morning. “There’s really been no dialogue since I left. Either we talk this week or it’ll be pretty clear what direction they’ve decided to take.”
It’s been reported there’s a 99 percent chance that Callahan will be dealt before Wednesday’s deadline, and this news would seem to support that probability.
Bartlett does, however, maintain that Callahan’s “first choice is to make a deal with the Rangers.”
The question then is how badly he wants to stay put. Unless this is all just a big bluff by general manager Glen Sather, it sounds like Callahan will have to drop his contract demands if he wants to remain with the Rangers.
An update from Pat “Stop Coaching” Leonard:
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 1
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 5
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)