Feb 27, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
If Ryan Callahan and the New York Rangers are going to work out a last-minute contract extension and avoid a trade, it won’t be a result of anything that’s been negotiated in the last few weeks.
That’s because, per ESPNNewYork.com, Callahan’s agent and the club haven’t even spoken in the last few weeks.
“I haven’t talked to them since before the Olympics,” Steve Bartlett said yesterday morning. “There’s really been no dialogue since I left. Either we talk this week or it’ll be pretty clear what direction they’ve decided to take.”
It’s been reported there’s a 99 percent chance that Callahan will be dealt before Wednesday’s deadline, and this news would seem to support that probability.
Bartlett does, however, maintain that Callahan’s “first choice is to make a deal with the Rangers.”
The question then is how badly he wants to stay put. Unless this is all just a big bluff by general manager Glen Sather, it sounds like Callahan will have to drop his contract demands if he wants to remain with the Rangers.
An update from Pat “Stop Coaching” Leonard:
Ryan Callahan's agent, Steve Bartlett, says in email he has had a couple discussions w/ Rangers since yesterday but nothing more to report—
Pat Leonard (@PLeonardNYDN) February 27, 2014
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 27
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)