Feb 27, 2014, 10:52 AM EST
If Ryan Callahan and the New York Rangers are going to work out a last-minute contract extension and avoid a trade, it won’t be a result of anything that’s been negotiated in the last few weeks.
That’s because, per ESPNNewYork.com, Callahan’s agent and the club haven’t even spoken in the last few weeks.
“I haven’t talked to them since before the Olympics,” Steve Bartlett said yesterday morning. “There’s really been no dialogue since I left. Either we talk this week or it’ll be pretty clear what direction they’ve decided to take.”
It’s been reported there’s a 99 percent chance that Callahan will be dealt before Wednesday’s deadline, and this news would seem to support that probability.
Bartlett does, however, maintain that Callahan’s “first choice is to make a deal with the Rangers.”
The question then is how badly he wants to stay put. Unless this is all just a big bluff by general manager Glen Sather, it sounds like Callahan will have to drop his contract demands if he wants to remain with the Rangers.
An update from Pat “Stop Coaching” Leonard:
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)