Feb 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
When the Winnipeg Jets continue their schedule next Thursday, it will have been over one full month since Evander Kane last played.
That’s in part because of the Olympic break, but also because of a deep hand cut that forced the Jets to put the talented forward on injured reserve. Kane’s last game was Jan. 26, but the injury was initially suffered on Jan. 7 in a fight – although he says he won’t give that part of the game up.
He missed four games, then returned back to the lineup for four games, and then was taken back out of the lineup, this time for six games with a hand infection. It’s only added to Kane’s troubles with injury this season, which have caused him to miss 18 of Winnipeg’s 60 games.
The Jets sit sixth in the Central Division but only two points out of a playoff spot. A healthy Kane – he has 15 goals and 29 points this season – could help them make a run at making the post-season for the first time since coming back to Winnipeg.
“It’s frustrating. And it’s more frustrating just watching the games. You’re not around the rink every day and probably just going up to the stands or sitting at home instead of going on the road,” Kane told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“That’s probably the most frustrating part. But I’m fighting to get back in it. I’m looking at the future and moving forward.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)