Feb 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
When the Winnipeg Jets continue their schedule next Thursday, it will have been over one full month since Evander Kane last played.
That’s in part because of the Olympic break, but also because of a deep hand cut that forced the Jets to put the talented forward on injured reserve. Kane’s last game was Jan. 26, but the injury was initially suffered on Jan. 7 in a fight – although he says he won’t give that part of the game up.
He missed four games, then returned back to the lineup for four games, and then was taken back out of the lineup, this time for six games with a hand infection. It’s only added to Kane’s troubles with injury this season, which have caused him to miss 18 of Winnipeg’s 60 games.
The Jets sit sixth in the Central Division but only two points out of a playoff spot. A healthy Kane – he has 15 goals and 29 points this season – could help them make a run at making the post-season for the first time since coming back to Winnipeg.
“It’s frustrating. And it’s more frustrating just watching the games. You’re not around the rink every day and probably just going up to the stands or sitting at home instead of going on the road,” Kane told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“That’s probably the most frustrating part. But I’m fighting to get back in it. I’m looking at the future and moving forward.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 36
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)