Feb 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
When the Winnipeg Jets continue their schedule next Thursday, it will have been over one full month since Evander Kane last played.
That’s in part because of the Olympic break, but also because of a deep hand cut that forced the Jets to put the talented forward on injured reserve. Kane’s last game was Jan. 26, but the injury was initially suffered on Jan. 7 in a fight – although he says he won’t give that part of the game up.
He missed four games, then returned back to the lineup for four games, and then was taken back out of the lineup, this time for six games with a hand infection. It’s only added to Kane’s troubles with injury this season, which have caused him to miss 18 of Winnipeg’s 60 games.
The Jets sit sixth in the Central Division but only two points out of a playoff spot. A healthy Kane – he has 15 goals and 29 points this season – could help them make a run at making the post-season for the first time since coming back to Winnipeg.
“It’s frustrating. And it’s more frustrating just watching the games. You’re not around the rink every day and probably just going up to the stands or sitting at home instead of going on the road,” Kane told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“That’s probably the most frustrating part. But I’m fighting to get back in it. I’m looking at the future and moving forward.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)