Feb 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
When the Winnipeg Jets continue their schedule next Thursday, it will have been over one full month since Evander Kane last played.
That’s in part because of the Olympic break, but also because of a deep hand cut that forced the Jets to put the talented forward on injured reserve. Kane’s last game was Jan. 26, but the injury was initially suffered on Jan. 7 in a fight – although he says he won’t give that part of the game up.
He missed four games, then returned back to the lineup for four games, and then was taken back out of the lineup, this time for six games with a hand infection. It’s only added to Kane’s troubles with injury this season, which have caused him to miss 18 of Winnipeg’s 60 games.
The Jets sit sixth in the Central Division but only two points out of a playoff spot. A healthy Kane – he has 15 goals and 29 points this season – could help them make a run at making the post-season for the first time since coming back to Winnipeg.
“It’s frustrating. And it’s more frustrating just watching the games. You’re not around the rink every day and probably just going up to the stands or sitting at home instead of going on the road,” Kane told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“That’s probably the most frustrating part. But I’m fighting to get back in it. I’m looking at the future and moving forward.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)