Feb 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
When the Winnipeg Jets continue their schedule next Thursday, it will have been over one full month since Evander Kane last played.
That’s in part because of the Olympic break, but also because of a deep hand cut that forced the Jets to put the talented forward on injured reserve. Kane’s last game was Jan. 26, but the injury was initially suffered on Jan. 7 in a fight – although he says he won’t give that part of the game up.
He missed four games, then returned back to the lineup for four games, and then was taken back out of the lineup, this time for six games with a hand infection. It’s only added to Kane’s troubles with injury this season, which have caused him to miss 18 of Winnipeg’s 60 games.
The Jets sit sixth in the Central Division but only two points out of a playoff spot. A healthy Kane – he has 15 goals and 29 points this season – could help them make a run at making the post-season for the first time since coming back to Winnipeg.
“It’s frustrating. And it’s more frustrating just watching the games. You’re not around the rink every day and probably just going up to the stands or sitting at home instead of going on the road,” Kane told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“That’s probably the most frustrating part. But I’m fighting to get back in it. I’m looking at the future and moving forward.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)