Jan 20, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets probably aren’t keen to hear it, but Evander Kane will keep on fighting.
“Fighting is a part of the game,” Kane said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s a good part of the game. It’s a necessary part of the game. You have to have it to control the game.”
Kane has missed the last four games after suffering a deep hand cut in this fight with Tampa Bay’s Eric Brewer:
It was just his second fight of the year and ninth of his career — “I don’t fight a lot,” Kane acknowledged — but despite that limited fight card, Kane is skilled with his fists. His father, Perry, was an amateur boxer that named his son after former heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, and the younger Kane did some boxing training while growing up.
All that boxing background was on display in 2010, when Kane landed a devastating one-punch KO on Matt Cooke:
Kane insisted that, moving forward, he will continue to fight if challenged — even though he’s unsure when he’ll get back in the lineup.
“I’m not going to back down,” he said. “Let’s put it that way.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)