Jan 20, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets probably aren’t keen to hear it, but Evander Kane will keep on fighting.
“Fighting is a part of the game,” Kane said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s a good part of the game. It’s a necessary part of the game. You have to have it to control the game.”
Kane has missed the last four games after suffering a deep hand cut in this fight with Tampa Bay’s Eric Brewer:
It was just his second fight of the year and ninth of his career — “I don’t fight a lot,” Kane acknowledged — but despite that limited fight card, Kane is skilled with his fists. His father, Perry, was an amateur boxer that named his son after former heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, and the younger Kane did some boxing training while growing up.
All that boxing background was on display in 2010, when Kane landed a devastating one-punch KO on Matt Cooke:
Kane insisted that, moving forward, he will continue to fight if challenged — even though he’s unsure when he’ll get back in the lineup.
“I’m not going to back down,” he said. “Let’s put it that way.”
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)