Jan 20, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets probably aren’t keen to hear it, but Evander Kane will keep on fighting.
“Fighting is a part of the game,” Kane said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s a good part of the game. It’s a necessary part of the game. You have to have it to control the game.”
Kane has missed the last four games after suffering a deep hand cut in this fight with Tampa Bay’s Eric Brewer:
It was just his second fight of the year and ninth of his career — “I don’t fight a lot,” Kane acknowledged — but despite that limited fight card, Kane is skilled with his fists. His father, Perry, was an amateur boxer that named his son after former heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, and the younger Kane did some boxing training while growing up.
All that boxing background was on display in 2010, when Kane landed a devastating one-punch KO on Matt Cooke:
Kane insisted that, moving forward, he will continue to fight if challenged — even though he’s unsure when he’ll get back in the lineup.
“I’m not going to back down,” he said. “Let’s put it that way.”
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)