Jan 20, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets probably aren’t keen to hear it, but Evander Kane will keep on fighting.
“Fighting is a part of the game,” Kane said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s a good part of the game. It’s a necessary part of the game. You have to have it to control the game.”
Kane has missed the last four games after suffering a deep hand cut in this fight with Tampa Bay’s Eric Brewer:
It was just his second fight of the year and ninth of his career — “I don’t fight a lot,” Kane acknowledged — but despite that limited fight card, Kane is skilled with his fists. His father, Perry, was an amateur boxer that named his son after former heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, and the younger Kane did some boxing training while growing up.
All that boxing background was on display in 2010, when Kane landed a devastating one-punch KO on Matt Cooke:
Kane insisted that, moving forward, he will continue to fight if challenged — even though he’s unsure when he’ll get back in the lineup.
“I’m not going to back down,” he said. “Let’s put it that way.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)