Feb 6, 2014, 8:23 PM EST
Martin Erat‘s finally managed to find the back of the net on Thursday night.
Unfortunately, it was his own.
Erat kicked home Winnipeg’s equalizing goal in the first period of tonight’s Caps-Jets game, converting a Bryan Little rebound for what many clever Twitter users noted was Erat’s first goal of the year:
The 32-year-old Czech, who was recently named as an injury replacement to his country’s Olympic team, had failed to score a single tally in his first 49 games of the year (tonight was game No. 50).
The scoreless streak was technically at 54 regular season contests — dating back to last year — which is some kind of slump, especially considering Erat has 164 career goals and has scored 20 or more three times over his 13-year career.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)