Feb 6, 2014, 8:23 PM EST
Martin Erat‘s finally managed to find the back of the net on Thursday night.
Unfortunately, it was his own.
Erat kicked home Winnipeg’s equalizing goal in the first period of tonight’s Caps-Jets game, converting a Bryan Little rebound for what many clever Twitter users noted was Erat’s first goal of the year:
The 32-year-old Czech, who was recently named as an injury replacement to his country’s Olympic team, had failed to score a single tally in his first 49 games of the year (tonight was game No. 50).
The scoreless streak was technically at 54 regular season contests — dating back to last year — which is some kind of slump, especially considering Erat has 164 career goals and has scored 20 or more three times over his 13-year career.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)